bacalao

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey all,

What do you all think about using distilled water in a reef tank? I have been using distilled water in my tank for the last 3 months. I no longer have access to a ro/di unit. I have noticed more green algae in my tank and some brown spots on the back wall of my nano cube.

Should I be using distilled water? Is it ok? Do you think any of the green algae and brown spots (algae ?) is due to the distilled water or just high phospate ( my phosphate level is a tad high).

thanks in advance for any info.

bacalao

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thats good to hear. I thought the rise in green algae was due to the distilled water.

Any thoughts on what the small brown spots on my back wall may be? the spots are starting to cover some of the coralline algae I have growing on the back of the tank and they is like a brown layer on my koralia powerhead.

Thanks for all the info, its appreciated.

ZANYMASTER

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
410   0   0
Dean,if you look behind the bottle of "Drinking water" which is sold at Walmart,it says processed by the the way of Reverse Osmosis.So that that is what the F it is.
smilie.gif

Last edited:

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Dean,

In case people are too lazy to read:

Walmart and Giant Brands No Different than Tap Water

Two of 10 brands tested, Walmart's and Giant's store brands, bore the chemical signature of standard municipal water treatment ? a cocktail of chlorine disinfection byproducts, and for Giant water, even fluoride. In other words, this bottled water was chemically indistinguishable from tap water. The only striking difference: the price tag.

In both brands levels of disinfection byproducts exceeded safety standards established by the state of California and the bottled water industry:
  • Walmart?s Sam?s Choice bottled water purchased at several locations in the San Francisco bay area was polluted with disinfection byproducts called trihalomethanes at levels that exceed the state?s legal limit for bottled water (CDPR 2008). These byproducts are linked to cancer and reproductive problems and form when disinfectants react with residual pollution in the water. Las Vegas tap water was the source for these bottles, according to Walmart representatives (EWG 2008).
  • Also in Walmart?s Sam?s Choice brand, lab tests found a cancer-causing chemical called bromodichloromethane at levels that exceed safety standards for cancer-causing chemicals under California?s Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986 (Proposition 65, OEHHA 2008). EWG is filing suit under this act to ensure that Walmart posts a warning on bottles as required by law: ?WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer."
WaterContamination2.jpg

IFoundNemo

and I put him in my tank
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I get the distilled water from wal mart but it is not "sams choice" water.
This is what the label says:

Bottled by: Mayer Bros Inc
3300 Transit Road
West Seneca NY 14224
Source: Erie county municipal water supply Buffalo NY
Processed by: Steam distillation

Aren't all the chemicals in the water left behind in the steam distillation process? Because distilled water is basically is purest of water?

Poland Spring distilled is better? Wouldn't both my water and Poland Spring distilled come out the same after processing?

Semibfy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would believe distilled water is/should be the purest water. Should not have problems using w/ proper additives when needed.
I do find that bottled drinking water are that bad vry disturbing.
Although usually drink NYC Tap water boileded and turn into few different types of teas using roasted seeds/leaves, but hate to think i am sending kids to school w/ contaminated bottles of water, even paid to have my kids drink such contaminated water. Very disturbing indeed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: