nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Well a few weeks ago I added an additional modded tunze 6025. There were already 2 korolia #3's in the tank. Everythings doing great, but since I added the tunze growth for my SPS has slowed a bit. Could it be that the corals are now putting more energy into growing thicker, then they'll start growing out again??

Or is it something else?

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
I believe that you have the same size tank as me and your 2 koralia's 3 is definitely enough flow in your tank. I heard that too much flow can slow down sps growth but it never happened to me I only use 2 koralias 2 and 1 koralia 1.

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
flow pattern as well as flow intensity affects the growth structures (i.e. thickness and shape). i would not say so much that growth rate is affected, cause it can be growing just as fast or even more, but just not as easily seen like spread out shape or tall.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Mark,

I think I could use more flow in my tank ;)

Reefman,
That's what I think I've noticed but don't know if my eyes are deceiving me. Most of the corals that are getting hit by the the tunze started encrusting faster, after stopping and starting to grow. Guess it's just a matter of time before the tips start growing out again.

Just needed to make sure i wasn't going crazy

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
flow intensity also can determine how heavily encrusted the base gets, i.e. -the stronger the flow, the thicker n more spread out the base becomes. the coral has built-in growth strategy to maximize their survival. by have a heavy base, it will be able to withstand the flow from tipping it over.
note: however, there is a tipping point where overly high flow can kill too.

Last edited:

seascape

Acan Crazy
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
i was hearing more flow the better for sps i noticed mine were growing slow so i decided to start redusing my flow and they are doing alot better now.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
reef,
Yea the flows not hitting anything directly, just a lot of indirect random flow. believe it or not I still have spots in the tank where softies stand basically still.

sea,
Yea with less flow they'd probably grow a bit faster where I could see it, but I rather have them a little thicker and better encrusted on the rock.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: