polecat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i have a 90 gallon reef ready tank and a megaflow model 3 sump and a mag 12 pump my question is when the water returns to the tank it spray's out of the little hole on the elbow return and the hole is out of the water and makes a ton of noise should i put a ball valve in to reduce the flow of the pump and make that hole go under water:confused:

chuck116

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have heard of people putting a piece of filter sponge or something for the water to hit first . but there are tons of people here that know way more then me.

good luck and post some pics. we all like to see pics.

budman0418

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
mag

I was always under the impression that you should never use a ball valve to reduce flow of pump. It burns out the pump with the back pressure.

budman0418

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
mag

is the sump under the tank? how much "head" do you have(meaning distance from pump to tank) if the sump is in tank stand then you might have to much pump. But im not sure if that will solve your problem, water might still come out of that hole in the elbow. can you take a pic of it to give a visual? might help beter to see it

polecat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
the sump is under the tank from the pump to the outlet is about 3 feet 2 feet of 1" pipe an a foot of 3/4 hose i will work on the pics

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
just tee off your return line and put a ball valve above (after) the tee, that way you can throttle back the pump without backpressuring it. you can use the excess flow to run a reactor or whatever, or just dump it back into the return section of your sump.

polecat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
that sounds like a great idea do you think i can run my chiller off the tee it can handle 240 gph it is a 1/10 hp arctica titanium chiller

polecat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
here is a pic

Attachments

• P3080004.jpg
    P3080004.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 26

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: