Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

The life cycle is around 120 days

Some detailed information about pyramidellid snails Here

Chris Stweart said:
Pyramidellids are primarily nocturnal and tend to stick close to their host. They feed at night using their proboscis to pierce the host?s flesh and feed on the host?s body fluids. According to Robertson & Mau-Lastovicka (1979), some species can, and will, feed on unnatural hosts so there is the possibility of pyrams found on snails moving over to bivalves and visa versa. In small numbers, pyram snails can be tolerated by the host and seem to do little damage. Pyrams, however, multiply very quickly. Their egg masses can contain hundreds of eggs. These eggs hatch after about 15 days, become sexually mature at about 45 days, and have a life cycle of about 120 days.....

.....What if you already have them in your aquarium? All is not lost. Take a deep breath, roll up your sleeves and gather some supplies....

and this article by Dr. Ronald Shimek comparing the Pyramid and the Rissoid snails

some more information here snail id (
multipage.gif
1 2 3)

Cheers and good luck...do not hesitate to hand remove them, the clam will withstand it and will thank you for that;)
Pedro Nuno;-)

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
You are right WSC...

Killer:
Change your entire sand-bed.....

How about rocks?

Damn I don't even really have a clue where the heck these guys came from. I thought it could have possibly been Cerith snails, since they've been breeding like crazy for these past 2 years. I've only added fish recently. Possibly macro algae from Reef Cleaners, but it looked clean when i put in the small amount.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
I haven't seen them hiding in rocks & haven't see much with the light on, but you will definitely see them crawling on the rocks & glass in the dark.
I believe they prefer to sleep in the sand.

I just shook up the rocks in tank water before placing back in the tank.
All pest free now:)

That was a long time ago though.

Have you checked your sand with the lights out?:happysad:

Last edited:

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
How long exactly is "too long for them to die out"?

ummm i would say threshold is about 4 - 6 months, before I deem it too long to wait. but if it really only takes 3 months for them to dies out then it should be fine. I won't be adding any clams or snails to my parents tank for a good while. Hopefully they'll be dead before my lease is up.

Have you checked your sand with the lights out?:happysad:

Not really, I only just noticed them fairly recently (week or two ago), not that many either. And I only go back to my parents house on the weekends.
Also I picked up collonista snails from somewhere too.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: