• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

geldof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I have an Ecotech MP40w (current generation) that is around 3 months old with a dry/wet side separation problem. It started separating a month ago. It was perfectly fine before that.For the last week I have been picking the wet side off of the bottom of the tank every day:irked: One thing I do notice is that the dry gasket on the back side of the frame cover has shifted. I know the wet and dry side separating is a common problem with these pumps. Has anyone come up with a solution, other than sending the unit back? Also, how is Ecotech customer service? I left an email and phone message and have yet to hear back from anyone.

Please note, the pump is installed correctly with the pin spacer set for 3/8" the measured thickness of glass on my 75 gallon aquarium.

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I've dealt directly with EcoTech and heard back from them within the day of calling if leaving a message. Had replacement parts in the mail that day as well.

Wet ends do need replacing. Though I'd say if you call them it would fall most likely fall under warranty and be replaced by EcoTech.

Are you sure there is no air in the wet side housing? That can cause it to fall off of the wall or shift when the pump is on. Also makes for that annoying vibration sound to be pretty loud. I'm not sure what gasket you are speaking of... ?

Will C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
make sure the covering on the dry side is properly placed on the motor. you'll see a spot for the wire and if it is not exactly right the unit will 'travel'

geldof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Thanks for all of the advice everyone. Interesting thing is, I have two MP40s in my aquarium. The other one if fine, never fallen off. So far the landlord option makes the most sense.

I have been using the dry gasket. Wet side seal is tight. The covering on the dry side is properly placed. As far as I can tell there's no air in the wet side assembly, but will double check. Only other thing I did was soak in vinegar and clean. If I don't hear from Ecotech, i'll place it back in the tank, on low speed, and see how it goes.

BTW, in my first post I stated, "One thing I do notice is that the dry gasket on the back side of the frame cover has shifted". that was a misleading statement. The 'dry gasket' is between the outer glass and pin spacer. The piece that is shifting is the rubber that is glued to the back of the 'wet side frame cover' as outlined in the MP40 owners manual. Anyone notice that happening on their pump?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: