Malibu361

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I bought the Outer Orbit 150 x 2 HQI with 4 T5's and my question is how good are the Current brand buldbs and should I replace them?I have had the tank up and running for about 4 months with the new light and wondering if th Current brand quality was less than other name brand bulbs..they are 2 460's and 2 420's actinics... What brands are suggested and should I swap them out sooner than later ??Thanks Sal

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Sal,
IMO, the current bulbs look terrible. I would switch them out to ATI Blue Plus and or a combination with URI Super Actinic.
Depends if you use a 10k for the halides and want more blue then use 4 Blue Plus. If you use a bluer halide, then maybe 2 Blue Plus & 2 Super Actinic.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
As I said earlier 2 bulbs are 420 and 2 are 460 what is a good replacment for each one I am new to the T5's and want to order the right ones....Thanks Sal

Sal, very tough question as there is no 'right and wrong'. It is more a matter of personal preference. IMO I like the Giesemann Actinic+. The UVL Super Actinic is a nice bulb too.

swimmer

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
So Would you get 2 of each or 4 of the same...?

The same question can be asked about three of one type and one of the other......and vice versa.

All personal preference. I personally like two and two. I know other people that like all four as the same actinic+ or pure actinic.

Sal, I'm terribly sorry I can't give you the definitive answer you're desperately trying to get. The good thing about this decision, you'll get the opportunity to change bulbs in a year and try a different combination.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: