ferrybongo13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How many watt heater would be good for a 180gallon and what is a good brand...I have 2 small heaters in my sump and it stays between 68 and 72 degrees...I used to have 2 in sump mag 1800 pumps...and hooked up an external pump...so my temp has dropped off alot...this tank has FOWLR. Thanks Is 68 to 70 too low? What is an ideal temp....76 to 80?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Heaters are the nemesis of our hobby. So many brands and models are flawed. Failing in the on and off positions are a common occurance. In order to alleviate most fears of failure, a controller is recommended. One of the more reliable controllers is the Ranco. In addition to the controller, you should use two heaters. Both heaters should be rated for less than you'd need individually. This way if one of the heaters fails, your tank won't be cooked, or go without heat at all.

I've had very good experiences with the Eheim Jager brand of heaters. I would use two 300w heaters in your tank, depending upon what your ambient room temperature is. Ideally you should keep your tank at a temp between 77-79.

Hope this helps.
Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: