guri

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Phosphates and algae
I had a lot of algae grown in my tank so a got big crew to eat algae but now I?m afraid there is not enough food for them (I?m supplementing algae with seaweed). What if I turn off posban if phosphate level will grow high it will harm corals or not? I have a lot of corals: hard, soft, zoas. Or is there way to grow algae for my cleaning crew?
thanks guys

guri

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Hi

You should keep phosphates as low as possible to avoid the possibility of causing harm to your corals.

As for the cleaning crew, can you please describe it

Cheers
Pedro Nuno;-)
hermit crabs different kind of snails fast feet crabs algae blenny two yellow tangs i think i got a lot of them because i had a lot of algae and now they cleaned my tank completely so i have to supplement it with seaweed and i want algae to grow back maybe in my fugium is there any way to do that

Avi

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just do you're very best to keep phosphates down as low as you possibly can. It is doubtful that you'd ever be able to completely cleanse your reef of them but even if you're very efficient in your measures to get them down, you can supplement any lack of algae in your tank with algae disks or other vegetable supplements.

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hermit crabs different kind of snails fast feet crabs algae blenny two yellow tangs i think i got a lot of them because i had a lot of algae and now they cleaned my tank completely so i have to supplement it with seaweed and i want algae to grow back maybe in my fugium is there any way to do that

Hi
As said previously you should keep phosphates as low as possible to avoid harming your corals.

Concerning your cleaning crew they will have enough to eat as there will be always some algae on the glass or rocks as well as detritus for scavenging and as you are supplementing seaweed to your yellow tangs there will be no problem also for them. If you feel you have excess of snails or hermit crabs, you can always trade them with another member that needs them, and thus you will be both adjusting the population of the "cleaning crew" to your tank needs and helping another member.
As for growing algae in your refugium there is a way for that but it would help us to help you if you could post photographs of your refugium. In brief, you will need light for your algae to thrive in your refugium. Depending on the algae you choose, you can have a bare bottom refugium or with sand bed or even a DSB, whichever you feel best suited for your system. As far as algae are concerned, I suggest Chaetomorpha, but you have other possibilities.

Here is and example of a refugium My new 40g br. REEF/REFUGIUM exhibit

If you need more information, links to help you, LMK.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno;-)

Last edited:

guri

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
hmmm you have 2 yellow tangs? how big of a tank do you have? Instead of going back to cruddy water params, why don't you sell/trade/give away some of your crew?
i have two 90g tanks one with fish only and other with corals so i think i'm going to move some of my crew to other aquarium fish only i don't wanna take my chances to play with water parameters just wandered if somebody had done something with phosphate to let algae grow
thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: