daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
what do you think - is this a zoa-eating star?

Attachments

• starfish.JPG
    starfish.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 185

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
asterina, not zoa eating, sometimes found on dying SPS and people blame them for the SPS death, but they're really eating the algae thats growing on the dead SPS

Last edited by a moderator:

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
i know it's asternia, but have recently read that there are many types of asternia, and some will munch on zoas... and many months ago, all my zoas disappeared.... have not repopulated yet, but want to at swap...

TOTAL AQUARIUMS

Chief of the Tang Police
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
These and emerald crabs get the most bad press of any animal in our tanks, I swear. They're fine unless starfish keyed your car or something and you have a personal vendetta against them. Otherwise let them help clean up the tank.

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
okay - so i pulled out maybe 200 of them just from off the glass and off the tops of the rocks highest up in my tank. put them in the fuge. (I have a hard time killing anything...)

I will be getting a pair of harleys from HOF once I get my params in check (hopefully later this week!)

Sorry Randy, Russ, Ming - I actually remember that it was shortly after I added these stars that my GARDEN of zoas started to disappear. Not melt - disappear. I just didn't want to believe it. I have not been able to keep zoas for a year now, and I want them again. Stars are out. sigh. I hope some of the mini brittle stars survive! I like those guys a lot!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0

Thanks for posting that Dean :)
Philly...:sigh:..I know, I know... :starfish: :eat: :starfish: ...:banghead:

Tahl...you did the right thing in talking out what stars you could find and the Harley will do a great job of getting rid of the others hidden where you can't see them.
I won't run my 120 without a Harely in there anymore and have NOT lost a single zoa to a mysterious circumstance (aside from the usual zoa deaths from whatever causes them to melt away..but you can see that when it is happening..) since then.

Zoanthid eating asterinas are real and no, not all asterinas eat zoas (far from it) but when you have them, you're screwed.
Better safe than sorry! :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: