Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 28 gallon nano cube and I have been using a tap water filter and not an RO/DI. All of my water parameters are perfect except my phosphate is around .01. Do you think I'm ok with the tap water filter or do I need to get an RO/DI unit?

Thanks for the help! Mike

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
i used a tap water filter for nearly 2 years without any problems. unless you are having algae issues i wouldn't worry about the phos either, the tests are notoriously inaccurate...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the API Tap Water Filter. I do have a little cyano problem but I've been scrubbing the rock with a toothbrush and siphoning the sand. It is not completely going away, but it is not bad at all. The rest of the algae is cleaned by normal daily maintenance.

I also have my metal halide lights on for 9-10 hours a day and I know that makes more algae.

hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
the problem with those are the filters cost a lot of money and I've i'm not mistaken.. they don't produce much water either.. in the long run you are much better off with a ro/di then that.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had to change mine yet and had for over three months. But, I'm also not 100% sure when to change it. It says that you can tell with a line gradually running up, but mine is not that easy to tell.

If I got an RO/DI what kind should I get and how often do I need to replace the filters?

Thank you very much for all of the help

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
i used a tap water filter for nearly 2 years without any problems. unless you are having algae issues i wouldn't worry about the phos either, the tests are notoriously inaccurate...

Yeah those tests are inaccurate for being LOW not high. His .01 is probably more like .10 and probably the reason for his cyano.

Do yourself a favor and get a RO/DI, Typhoon 3 is pretty cheap.

hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
i use the Typhoon 3 for my 46g.. changing.. really depends on your water quality.. but i've been running the same filters for 6 months and still 0 tds.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't need one that will do an automatic top off. Just one to do water changes with. Will this make any difference with the one I choose?

Thanks again

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: