T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

I've mentioned it before, but thought I should explain it better.

I worked at a really great day care place last summer that had 2 FW tanks that were really hurting. I had them doing well. Several months after I left the owner/director called me and told me the tanks were fubar.

Long story short I fixed them up and offered to start a nano reef. she was very intestred. I have purchased a ALIFE 7.5 gallon all in one unit to put in my father's office, but there was all sorts of wierd stuff going on like a posible merger. So I set up the Alife with a couple of rocks from my system and got them a few snails and hermits.

What's going on now is I am commiong once a week to have an aquarium club where we talk about somthing new every week. Eventually we plan on getting a pair of ocellarises so yesterday I talked about how clown fishg aren't born male or female and the rest of that stuff. I made a board game that I played with some of the kids both before and after the actual meeting. I usually have a slide show of different pictures. The previous week's topic was worms so I had lots of great jpgs of worms on my lap top and hooked it up to a monitor so the kids could see.

I usually come atleast one other day every week to see how things are progressing.

I've been thinking of starting another tank that would be about 20 gallons and would have domino damsels and a condi or two.

I should mention there will hopfully be a newsletter. It would have photos and pictures that the kids drew. it would also discuss what the resent topics were. As well as information on starting an aquarium at home. Right now i'm not sure if it will be in a print format so the kids can actually have somthing tangable or if I will have it on the web and emailed to the parents. I know there is some sort of happy medium, but it probably would be a lot of work, and the newslettter isn't my primary objective.

At some point I'd like to have House o' Ha who lives close by to be a "guest lecturer." I will be transfering eventually to a "sleep away college" so hopfully Houses kid can go to the same place and he can keep the reef going. I doubt most dorms would let me have a 2 * 10 gallon nano reef AND a 7.5 as well :confused: .

SoS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your a good man Charlie Brown. No seriously I wish I had it in me to go out and volunteer and teach. Takes a special person.

[ February 10, 2003, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: SoS ]

Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goofert Said....:
I've mentioned it before, but thought I should explain it better.

I worked at a really great day care place last summer

I talked about how clown fish aren't born male or female and the rest of that stuff.

I usually come atleast one other day every week.
OMG ! TGR and Children ! RUNNNNNNN !!!!!!!!

LOL the line about the Boy/Girl parts made me think of KINDERGARDEN COP with Arnold S. the littke kid who said "Boys have a Peanus.. Girlz have a Vajiyana"
LOLZ !
reef5C27tardsdontposthere.gif

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from, my experience I can assure you it's wenis and bagina

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don't volenteer. I am paid. but I buy all the livestock and dry goods. I have probably broken even so far. I got two ocellaris clowns of friday and one made it. one did not :(

the kids thouyght I couyld just pour in some potion and the fish would come up and been fine again. the other stuff I did might have seemed miraculous.

onme of the things I am trying to teach the kids that I dn't necisarily want the corect answer, but I want them to think. A lot of times they come up with amazing answers that they couldn't know. like what happens if a moray eel comes and eats the female clown fish.

this summer we will do some FW tubbin' and bred snails. one of my snail friends is getting up to 38 dollars a PAIR! she gets 20 dollars for a clutchoif eggs. so we may be able to get a nice new setup. also they can be shipped chreap ground shippiung because they have a lung.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: