TOTAL AQUARIUMS

Chief of the Tang Police
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I just breezed over those and I found one glaring flaw in the second one. The author states a flow rate of 20-45gph (in his own 15w "custom" super efficient unit) as being the rule of thumb for all UVs. I didn't see him talk about zap dosage or the fact that different things die at different dosages. At higher flow rates you are killing algaes through to the lower flow rates where you would be killing parasites. The other issue is that low pressure units like those available to the general hobbyist aren't going to destroy the regeneration enzymes of cells and so those that don't get destroyed outright will regrow. I personally think UVs are a great insurance policy for any tank and while there are a couple companies that make a good UV the best one out there is Emperor Aquatics. They are the only company that gives actual zap dosages for what you are trying to kill down to the single gph. If you have any questions for a custom install or "irregular" instalation they can help you figure out the adjustments. In my experience they are the only company with science to back their product at the hobbyist level.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I just breezed over those and I found one glaring flaw in the second one. The author states a flow rate of 20-45gph (in his own 15w "custom" super efficient unit) as being the rule of thumb for all UVs. I didn't see him talk about zap dosage or the fact that different things die at different dosages. At higher flow rates you are killing algaes through to the lower flow rates where you would be killing parasites. The other issue is that low pressure units like those available to the general hobbyist aren't going to destroy the regeneration enzymes of cells and so those that don't get destroyed outright will regrow. I personally think UVs are a great insurance policy for any tank and while there are a couple companies that make a good UV the best one out there is Emperor Aquatics. They are the only company that gives actual zap dosages for what you are trying to kill down to the single gph. If you have any questions for a custom install or "irregular" instalation they can help you figure out the adjustments. In my experience they are the only company with science to back their product at the hobbyist level.

+1

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: