Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Recently I've been inundated with requests from members for more information regarding our two incredible speakers. Well, here you go:

Terry Siegel--"I Really have Seen It All---40 years of Marine Aquarium Keeping"

I am particularly gratified to be able to bring Terry back to the campus where he taught for over 30 years. Known locally to us old-timers as the Godfather of the Brooklyn Reef Mafia, Terry is truly a seminal figure in the Marine Aquarium Keeping world. Currently as founder and editor of Advanced Aquarist magazine and previously through his groundbreaking publications The Marine Aquarist and Aquarium Frontiers, Terry has been able to gather and disseminate much of the important and cutting edge information in the hobby, and introduced us to many of the experts we have come to know.

In his talk Terry will take us on a journey back in time to the beginnings of this wonderful hobby of ours and provide his truly unique perspective on how we arrived at where we are today.

Want to know more about Terry? Check out the interview in the latest issue of Reefs Magazine!!!!

Chris Jury --- "Ocean Acidification: The Problem, The Solution, and Lessons for Aquarists"

BIO:

Chris Jury grew up in the Great Lakes state of Michigan, which is a part of the US about as far from a tropical coral reef as one can reside. Nonetheless he developed a strong interest in coral reefs and marine organisms and has been an avid aquarist for many years. As an undergraduate he worked at a large retail store as one of the “saltwater gurus”, gaining a great deal of practical experience with a variety of marine organisms. He holds a B.S. in zoology from Michigan State University and an M.S. in marine biology from the University of North Carolina Wilmington. In July, 2009 he will begin work towards a Ph.D. in biological oceanography at the University of Hawai’i at Manoa. Chris is broadly interested in the biology and ecology of marine organisms, especially reef corals and other reef organisms, and has worked on projects ranging from ocean acidification research to coral reproductive biology, including work with the endangered Elkhorn coral (Acropora palmata). Chris has written for Advanced Aquarist Online magazine and Reefkeeping magazine and frequently gives lectures to marine aquarium clubs around the country. He is also an active member of several online aquarium forums, where he spends more time than he probably should.

ABSTRACT:

Ocean acidification, or as it is often called “the other CO2 problem”, has only recently been recognized as a major threat to marine organisms outside of the scientific community. Over the last 200 years about 40% of the CO2 emitted by human activities has dissolved into the ocean. As CO2 dissolves into sea water it reacts to produce carbonic acid, lowering seawater pH—the process known as ocean acidification. Since the year 1800 the average pH of the surface ocean has decreased by 0.1 units, equivalent to a 30% increase in hydrogen ion concentration [H+]. On our current emissions trajectory, average surface ocean pH will decrease by more than 0.4 by the end of this century and by 0.7 by the year 2300. This acidification also reduces the concentration of carbonate ions (CO32-) in sea water, with potentially profound effects on organisms that secrete calcium carbonate (CaCO3) shells and skeletons (e.g., corals). Indeed, recent research demonstrates that many calcifying marine organisms (as well as some non-calcifying organisms) are seriously harmed by ocean acidification. In fact, some negative impacts are already measurable. In this lecture we will discuss 1) how ocean chemistry is changing, 2) what those changes mean for marine organisms, 3) what needs to be done to preserve a healthy ocean for the (very near) future, and 4) how to apply this knowledge to better maintaining our aquaria.

Last edited:

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
all throughout high school and college..i usually fell asleep at lectures and presentations.....i have a feeling i will be wide awake for these 2 though!! cant wait!!!!! :splitspin

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: