fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
I just read that thread in RC about that guys tank that exploded so now I want to take some positive steps in my tank to prevent this from ever happening. Right now I have a GFCI hooked up to most of my things. What else can I do to prevent a fire? In the thread I read about a AFCI, what is that and where can I get one?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
I'm not really much of an electrician, but would I be able to install it myself?

Surely you read the article...especially this:

Excerpt: Be sure to have a qualified electrician install AFCIs; do not attempt this work yourself. The installation involves working within electrical panel boxes that are usually electrically live, even with the main circuit breakers turned off.

Jpergamo

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im an electrician and to be honest if your wiring/splicing is done right and you have a GFI protecting the tank there is no chance of a problem. A regular murry circuit breaker will trip long before a fire unless your panel is very old.

Jpergamo

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another problem that people have with electric is putting too much of a draw on a single circuit, i have 2 dedicated lines for my tank. to tell if there is a strain on the circuit, you must find out what line the tank is on, and feel the wire iside the panel to make sure it is not hot to the touch.

fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
thanks for all of the help. How would one go about putting in a separate line for my tank? I have a feeling I might be putting alittle too much strain on the circuit. Would I have to get an electrician to do it?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: