Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
hmm,
Still no takers?
Got to spice it up to tease them take the bait.
Where are all the people who said replacing your skimmer with a canister is a death sentence in your case?
:tongueani

Come on just a game, take the challenge.
A frag is nothing, chance of a great painting worth a lot more..

Wow 1456 views and 100 POSTS for this thread already.

Last edited:

waltercat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok so here are some pics of my tank taken today, five days after the change out, there hasn't been any difference good or bad, so this is pretty much where I started when I switched. This is a close up of the algae that I have. This is in various parts of the tank. As you can see it has been receding (which I attribute to the in tank fluval filter that I installed).

55G-05182009-03.jpg

Here's some overall pics of the tank:

http://johnstires.com/wp-content/gallery/pubic/55G-05182009-01.jpg
http://johnstires.com/wp-content/gallery/pubic/55G-05182009-02.jpg

Also 5 days since the change and params are all the same since I changed: Ammonia = 0, Nitrates = close to 0, Phosphates = 0

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I have been with you from the begining. But I like your paintings, so I will take the bet and give you a frag with pleasure when you succeed. But in the off chance you fail. I may get a great work of art. This bet is a no lose situation. I'm in.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
no wonder ur avater is a DEVIL.:tongue1:
I thought of that but feel guilty not to follow my believe.

I have been with you from the begining. But I like your paintings, so I will take the bet and give you a frag with pleasure when you succeed. But in the off chance you fail. I may get a great work of art. This bet is a no lose situation. I'm in.

HHaase

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'd jump in on the bet as well, but I don't have anything good to offer as a frag.

You see.... I tried running a canister myself and just removed it yesterday finally to put in a sump/refugium instead. Long story, but one of the LFS's talked me into it instead of a sump. One of the bigger coral places too. The problem I was having was rampant green hair algae that choked off and killed most of my Zoa's, mushrooms and star polyps. It's only after I removed all the floss that the algae finally started to slow down and began receding. I gave it a fair shot, a year and a half, but I just could never get the algae under control.

-Hans

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey John

What are you doing about oxygen levels?

I have a feeling Johns tank will be just fine. Three months isn't a very long time, I've had tanks with no filtration just circulation and weekly water changes for over 6 months with no problems. If he keeps the fish population low, watches his feeding, keeps up with his water changes, cleans the canister at least twice a month (yes thats it), has a good flow of water and keeps the water saturated with oxygen he should be very successful.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Why don't you post some FTS of the before and after? Three months is hardly "long term", you could dose vodka and don't have crashes:lol2:. I don't see how someone can bet in your scenario either way. I have seen people set up brand new tanks fully stock with $$$ of corals and everything looks great for the first few month as crap and toxins accumulates.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0

Kaz289

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I ran my 55 gal. on a Ehiem 2215 for 2 years with no problem when all I had was a fowlr system. When i increased my lighting and added corals I addes a HOB skimmer and it collected a good amount of gunk that my canister missed. I only changed the filters in the canister maybe once every 4 mths and had no problem. I used the spray bar, weekly water changes and a max-jet 1200 with air line to oxygenate the water. I must say the water in my 55 was clearer with that set up then with the sump I have now. I know it's possible to run that setup with little problems, My brother is currently running my old setup at his house and still has no problems. I would still use a hob protein skimmer for added filtration though. I used the red sea protein skimmer deluxe, the skimmer was a p.o.s. but when i got the setting right it pulled gunk fine, Also the deluxe version had the added carbon compatrment to help keep the water clear. U will be fine good luck.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: