• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

whould you change from mh to t5?

• yes

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • no

Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
would you change from mh to t5?
looking for what you would do i am thinking about getting rid of my 2x250 watt mh for a 6 bulb t5 set up what would you do?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I switched over to T5's on my 120 a while back, maybe 9 - 12 months ago. No discernable changes in the corals growth wise. Nice diference in my electric bill, I sold the chiller and just run the in-room A/C now.

I can see the corals more clearly with the T5's. Btw I am now running 3 actinics within a 5 bulbTek light fixture (individual reflectors) along with 3 T5's overdriven by an Icecap 660 and installed in Icecap relectors and the other 2 bulbs in the Tek are regular T5's as well - for a total of 8 bulbs.

Missing the glitter lines somewhat but happier that I can see more of the corals easily, but I do get glitter from the moonlights..and one of my other tanks is still running MH :)

finksmart

SPS Fanatic
Vendor
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
If you run one of the ATI blue bulbs they will give you glitter.

Just to show you how much light T5 gives, I converted from a 48" Aquatinics TX5 to a 36" ATI Sunpower on a 90g and bleached one of my bonsai. All the blue/purple pops a lot more now as well.

Plus you can't beat not having heat/e-bill issues.

mray

?
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
I would go with 8 bulbs. You can tinker with your colors a little more. If you decide to go with a retrofit kit get reefgeek reflectors. They don't show them on their site so you have to call them for it. They currently have reflectors that give the highest par.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Correct me If I'm wrong - Whether you have 2 x 150W MH or 8 x 39W TH, aren't they both generating approximately the same amount of heat?

300W MH vs 312W T5 (if you do 7 bulbs then its 273W)

They probably do generate about the same amount of heat, just that the T5's heat is spread out across 8 long bulbs, rather then 2 single points. If you spread out the heat, doesn't make it less heat, just makes it spreaded out.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: