Votes: 22 51.2%
  • no

Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
t5 all the way, have the 6 bulb t5 on my nano and hopefully with be converting my 60g cube to a 8 bulb 24" t5 have a 250w mh on it now and have basically used t5's from the begining, i also like the fact i can add diff color temp bulbs, the heat is basically the same as ming said, but instead of a focal point of heat it is spread out

Delmarr

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not so sure about LEDs the three tanks I know of that have moved to LEDs are not impressed. A friend, Absolutly fish and Ocean Gallary. All three will tell you that they just don't do what they need to do for SPS.

I think LED are probably the lighting of the future but they just aren't quit there yet.

Whereas, There are a tun of people that will swear by T5s.

Delmarr

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
I have done t-5 with TEK light fixtures and nova extreme fixture and had good results. two of the most important things to get most out of t-5's is cooling of the bulbs and individual reflectors.
right now i am using a 2x150 watt metal halide with four t5 fixture
I will go back to t-5 again but i only will purchase the ATI Powermodule its the Best t5 fixture out

Last edited:

mray

?
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
Check reefcentral for it, I don't have time to search for you. Grimreefer tested par of all the T5 bulbs and T5 reflectors, he has info on everything you would need to know about T5s.

Reefgeek reflectors > aquatinic > icecap > Tek.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Switching to t5s. Just purchased an aquactinics constellation 7 bulb unit.

Will miss the shimmer but hoping to get better colors.

Was going to get the 8 bulb powermodule but they are all sold out and you won't be able to get your hands one for at least two months.

Aquactinics is nice since they are somewhat local near New Haven CT and should something go wrong Tom is great with customer service

Last edited:

nyfireman3097

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Im on the verge of switching myself. I should have my new custom unit in a week it has a speacil feature on it also to give the fixture the MH shimmer and fully dimmable and is plug n play w/ my Profulix controller can not wait ;)

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Check reefcentral for it, I don't have time to search for you. Grimreefer tested par of all the T5 bulbs and T5 reflectors, he has info on everything you would need to know about T5s.

Reefgeek reflectors > aquatinic > icecap > Tek.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=14937420#post14937420
There's a direct link to what Grim Reefer posted
I just rather read the data he posted then take someone's word for it.
Based on the data, it seems reefgeek and ATI's reflectors focus much more straight down and less to the sides, where as aquatinic and icecap are more spread slightly more to the sides.
I would conclude Aquatinics are very marginally better then icecaps, and even Grim Reefer said he would recommend Aquatinics over Reefgeek's if they were only supplements (because of the spread), so I wouldn't go straight to conclude reefgeek is best.

Thanks for the info though. Its been a while since I was taught something new about T5's :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: