marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Last nite I was adding baking soda to my tank to bring up the Alk and I accidently drop a whole bunch into the tank. At first everything seemed find but an hour later the tank was all foggey. I check the Alk and it was at 25+. I did a # of water changes to bring it down to about 11-15 and except for chalk on the sides of the glass, the rocks and inbetween the corals I didn't lost anything. All the corals look good this morning as do the fish and inverts.

Outside of the initial shock, increase in the Alk, would anyone else think there be a problem, the chalk on the rocks and glass should eventually disapate over time.

Michael

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Actually it don't have an impact on PH, the impact is in the Cal levels. Because of the hign level of Alk, even though I bought it down it was still cause the cal levels to flux some what. I need to monitor it the next 3 or 4 days.

The tank itself right now is fine, I've done a # of water changes right away and all the corals are fully open and fine.

I'm going to do another water change tomorrow and use a turkey baster to blow some of the powder off of the rocks and suck the powder and water out.

I email Randy Holmes-Farley, on RC, and he told me it wasn't a big deal but to watch the Cal levels over the next few days.

Just make alot of things white in the tank.

Michael

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: