caad3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Hey gang,

Summer is almost here. I recently read something in one of my books, which stated that coral reefs range in temps from low 70's to mid 80's. My question is what could I keep my tank (sps and some lps) temp at? 79? 81? without doing harm. Just wanted to get some opinions on what other members keep their tank at during the summer.

Thanks, James

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Some reefers are able to let their temps hit 81-82 and don't have any issues. I use to let my temp hit around 82 beforea chiller would kick in but last year my SPS corals did not react well. I now keep the temp in that tank between 77 & 79. For my LPS & Fish Only I let it get up to 82 without a problem.

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
i have a sps dominated tank and let it hit 83.5 before the chiller kicks on, my temps average around 81 for this time of the year

caad3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Life without risk is not living

lol... the problem is my friggin return pump Poseiden P4, raises the tank temp a few degrees, so in the winter and fall is great, just when the summer hits, I have to deal with higher temps, and I hate the noise that my chiller makes.

My other option is to switch out return pumps which is where I am heading.

Good luck man, sounds a bit risky.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
any noise or just chiller noise? would you object to fan noise also? if fan noise doesn't bother you, there's very strong yet compact(11x10x8) fan called the blue blower sold at home depot. i had that blowing at the tank when the chiller crapped out. that thing blows!!!! it took 3-4 degree off the tank. but it's kinda loud. my tank is in the basement so it doesn't bother anyone

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Now i see where your going i have a Delta Star that makes alot of noise but i know a member that use a Current that's very quiet.

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
my tank has hit highs of 85 never had any problems but shortly afterwards put in a chiller

my sps are like :tank:'s

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: