ferrybongo13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have this black slime covering my rock...what is it and how do i get rid of it...is it bad?

Attachments

• IMG_3423.JPG
    IMG_3423.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3424.JPG
    IMG_3424.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 162

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Get a tooth brush and start brushing.I'm not trying to stur the bucket but how long did it take to get to this point.

Last edited:

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Question:
How big is your tank?
do you know what your parameter are?
How much flow in your tank?

If you dont have corals or anything else that needs light i would black out your tank scrub the rock with in a bucket to remove it all. do a water change and let your skimmer run wet

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Hi
It looks like cyano and I agree with the advice you have been give (except the chocolate fudge) If there are not a lot of live fish or inverts in the tank, I would truly take out the rock and scrub it with some salt water in a bucket and strat the tank over. If you canot start over I would siphon out as much as I could. Remember blowing it around with a turkey baster does not remove the nutrient from the water, it only moves it around. Cut back on feeding, light and do weekly 20% water changes. If it were me I would remove the rock and start over

Andy

ferrybongo13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
its 180 gal...my fater in-laws tank....he is running 1800 gals an hr mag pump...has skimmer and uv and does water changes....I think its his lighting...he has a 55 gal sump with refugeium.His tank has been running for awhile...FOWLR with a few inverts.
I will let him know about all the advice..thanks everyone.
BTW these lights we had bought from e bay..they are like security lights with a 10,000k floresent bulb..i have seen them in home depot....this guy said they were good for coral...which is BS....we got them a few years ago...not knowing enough
about lighting.

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
if its a FOWLR I would just rinse off the rock that its on and remove as much as you can when doing water changes its not gonna kill your fish, but it will suffocate/smother corals. But being you have no corals I would not stress about it too much.

Also a mag-18 alone does NOT move enough water in a 180, try adding some powerheads for some more water movement

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: