da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Im think of upgrading some time in the future and would probably be looking at getting a tank in the low 200 gal range. I have a Pm X2 thats is rated for 750 gal tanks from another system i purchased but sold the tank. Would I be able to use that?

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I think over skimming is whenever the skimmer is expeling clear aquarium water constantly through the foam tour or the skimmer is subtracting too much organics/protein form the aquarium.If you'r refering to the later i think it's OK for a 250gal fish only or SPS coral tank IMO.Correct me if i'm wrong thank you.
:tub:

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
IMO no such thing.

What I expect from my skimmer is the ability to feed my system several times per day, while having very low phosphates and nitrates without relying on crutches such as frequent water changes, gfo's, ozone, carbon dosing etc..... There are lots of skimmers with big ratings out there but the proof is the performance on a system. Also, let me add that if these "crutches" are used you definitely can get away with a small skimmer :)

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Guys You will not overskim. When there is nothing else to pull out the skimmer just sits idle waiting for crap to pull out!!! A larger/more effecient skimmer just gives you the ability to pull organics out faster/more effectively. And for those that are worried about skimming to aggresively feed your fish more......:splitspin

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Heres a little tip....When you feed turn your skimmer off for a little while, in addition turn your various pumps down or into feed mode(tunze, vortec, and others) this will allow your corals to wind up with more food instead of your skimmer.....:splitspin

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: