feems

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gallon high tank and its 20 inches deep, I cant look in the for sale forum until i know what to look for, so some advice would be good.

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
When you say corals what kind SPS or LPS? it also depends on how long your tank is for the bulb sizes. 39w or 48w One of those sizes should fit your tank, you would be looking for 4 bulbs or more type unit. There are many options retro fit or a fixtureif your are placing it in a hood or hanging it

feems

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up guys i plan on havin SPS for now as i am still new, I have some zoo's and a Kenya tree and yes i know they spread lol.
My tank is 30 inches long and 20 inches high and 19 inches wide.
I have a sump at the moment but a fellow reefer is helping me turn it into a refugium. I have an Acua C remora skimmer, I have a turbo twist UV sterilizer.For flow i have 2 Koralia's facing eachother one is a 2 and the other is a 3...
I have 50 pounds of live rock and i know i need more i am working on that.

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Rick is right how long have you been setup for and have you been dosing calcuim? Being prepared before hand will make the transition a lot easier. When i first bought my first SPS I was hooked you don't want to go through losing a $60-$100 frag even $20 frag still hurts

feems

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok guys let me make things clear, My goal is to first get my tank right and stable before adding anything. with that said i need to start with the lighting. any suggestions?

feems

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys are right and i just finish going thru that due to extremely bad advice from my local fish store. I had 3 tangs a maroon clown a manderine and a watchmen gobie in this 50 gallon tank. until things started dieing and i started joining these reef sites and with everyon es hep i got rid of all the tangs cuz it was a rediuclous bio load on my tank, and being new the fish store just kept trying to sell me stuff. but i am past that now and i am on my way to doing it right, i need a light and need advice on what to buy, i am making my sump into a refug this weekend, and i will add about 20 pounds of live rock with a light, and mud, as well as cheao. also i will put 50 more pounds of rock in the tank little by little. then i will let it run for a couple of months until it is stable, then with the advice of the reefer i met from my area will i put things in, as a matter of fact he is holding 5 peices of my corals until my tank get stable, like i said i was buying all kind of stuff and this dumb fish store in nj really screwed me but you live and learn.

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Yea i understand what you mean, but it looks like you are on the right path. I would suggest getting a method of adding Calcium to your tank. what kind of mud are you using? with your size tank i would go with 4 or more T5's. I myself like retros since i like to overdrive most if not all my bulbs plus you can always add more bulbs.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: