johnvic

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have been using the stock skimmer but 2 things have lead me to wanting to get a replacement skimmer for my Solana. One thing is how loud it is! I had it turned off for a few hours and it was as if the tank was 75% quieter. But the more pressing reason is that yesterday I did a more thorough cleaning, which included pulling out the skimmer. As I was cleaning it I squeezed it at the bottom and it opened up on one of its joints. Now I assume I could just glue it back together but I see this as a sign from the Aquarium gods and perhaps a subconscious action to lead a quieter life. The skimmer is working but I think it is time for change.

Any opinions on replacements for the Solana skimmer? Quality and quiet are key. I'm sure I can't go wrong with a Saphire Aquatics but if there are better choices then I am open to it.

Thanks!

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I really liked my Tunze Nano. It's very, very quiet. Almost to the point where you can't tell if it's on or not. I've heard good things about the Sapphire, but it's new.

I'd go with the Tunze. Check out the Euro Reef Nano as well. They have custom made skimmers for the solana.

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
I just purchased a Tunze 9005 for my system and so far I very pleased with it. Its a breeze to setup, clean, and maintain. Produces nice dark skimate, and as far as noise not bad either compared with other skimmers.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
ive owned all 3 skimmers and i use a skimmer from a solano in my aquapod 24g it out skimmers both, doesnt flux like either of the other's, another person told me theirs was loud also, mine isnt at all, and yes u can just glue the piece back together, i did lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: