jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
it all depends what you like really. there are people who will give you passionate (and frequently wrong) answers on both sides of the issue. there are some amazing tanks that are bare bottom, some with just an inch or so of sand, and some with massive dsb's. all can be successful.

personally i just use an inch or so of sand in my display so i can keep some critters that require some sand to be happy. but again its really a personal preference...

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm having the same debate for my 180. Mine is either going to be BB or SSB. I've already put down the starboard.

Jon are you having any problems with the SSB? As far as blowing all over? How about with looks, does it stay clean?

Steven

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
it all depends what you like really. there are people who will give you passionate (and frequently wrong) answers on both sides of the issue. there are some amazing tanks that are bare bottom, some with just an inch or so of sand, and some with massive dsb's. all can be successful.

personally i just use an inch or so of sand in my display so i can keep some critters that require some sand to be happy. but again its really a personal preference...
I agree as well and it depends on what animals you'r gona keep in there.I have half my 90 gal with 2 inch substrate and live sand in my refugium i find it easier to vacum up the debris for the bare bottom.

Last edited:

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Like everyone else said your pick on the type of look you are looking to gain. Since you have a refugium you can get away without it. Basically sand is there to help hold beneficial bacteria

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Hey Steven,

Nah, after a couple days the fines settle out and the sand stays down. at least thats how it worked out for me ;)

I'm having the same debate for my 180. Mine is either going to be BB or SSB. I've already put down the starboard.

Jon are you having any problems with the SSB? As far as blowing all over? How about with looks, does it stay clean?

Steven

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I would do both, miracle mud and do a remote DSB in a sealed bucket that water runs through it if I was doing BB. I have had a smaller tank that was BB and the problems I had was controling nitrates. But I didn't have a refugium as well. What will you be housing?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: