NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
if you have $5500 laying around for it
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34_136&products_id=642

AS_BK500Ext.jpg

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
its rated for 500-1300g are they correct? looks like it can do way more than that would that. It confuses me about the sizes with skimmers there are smaller ones that max at 500g and something similar that at 100-200g higher

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
honestly through alot of reading and going through RC on alot of skimmer threads, i think there is alot of hype with skimmer's. are some better then other's ? yes, are they worth the triple price tag ? i dont think so. i personally think the pump is the biggest factor in performance, the air to water ratio, alot of people use the turbulance in the body as a reason certain skimmers are better, yet no one has really been able to prove that one skimmer is completely better then another. forget who it was that compared 4 skimmers and all of them basically came out the same, seems alot of the guys n RC just have money to waste. top name skimmer makes a new model 6 months later they run out just to have the newest skimmer. here is a direct reply from jeff at euroreef
The only consumer level skimmers (skimmers for aquaria under 300 gallons) that require a bubble plate/ turbulence diffusion system are those that utilize a pump that is too large for the body. I have seen some very large skimmers (for systems 1000 gallons+) that make use of a diffusion apparatus and it is key to the design. It doesn't make them better, just different. The amount of power required to power such large pumps usually negates the benefit of the diffusion system compared to better designs.

I have also recently seen small skimmers using bubble plates with pumps that are too small and or mismatched for the reaction chamber over-all design. I think they are refered to as the "Me Too" bubble plate skimmers...

On top of that, the real problem with the whole "bubble plate" thing is the affect the design has on contact time. Out of necessity, in compact skimmers, the lower third of the reaction chamber must water only so as to avoid bubbles leaving the chamber and entering the system. I have seen some that are only HALF full of bubbles. To make up for that loss in contact time, one would have to increase the height of the chamber, but that adds back pressure to the pump and dramatically reduces efficiency, specifically air intake. That of course translates into a loss of surface area and thus fractionation/extraction potential.

Under typical operating circumstances none of our current products require a diffusion system because the pumps are properly matched to the reaction chambers and the transitions and necks are matched to the pump/body combination. They work perfectly.

Innovation is not a mandate. Quality, Performance, Value and Service are. Change for change sake is pointless. Most mfr's make "innovations" to enhance the marketability of their products rather than maintaining or refining a proven design. Do you really think H&S and Deltec keep making their skimmers the same way because they can't innovate? No, it's because they work just as they are. Small changes here and there maybe. After many years of research and testing, you might see a new product that is truly innovative, but not every 3 months... Some of the first skimmers from Bubble King -the very large diameter ones- make excellent use of the bubble plate. Beyond that I haven't seen any evidence that supports the use of such technology in smaller skimmers... yet
wink.gif

The right direction in design is in increasing surface area for attraction of organics and thus fractionation, limiting power consumption, minimizing space required, and optimizing ease of use. That's where we are going as a protein skimmer manufacturer.

sjsoto

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So noob which skimmer would you recommend for a fifty gal. In sump prefered... I plan to over feed... And will be keeping sps, lps, and softies... Something that would just be a lil overkill ...funds: No more than $800.00

thanks

-saul

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
not claming to be an expert, i have owned a few skimmer's, nothing in the upper line's, ati, bm or those of that sort, but i havent had a tank bigger then 65g either, ive owned the euroreef rs80 couple of times on my systems and loved it, very well built, i do know they are working on other pumps for them and a special alloy mesh wheel that looks promising, octo and msx make good skimmers as well, havent owned one, but read alot of good reviews on RC on them, i did have a etss sump buddy 40 that i loved , was just a little on loud side for me, seeing tank is next to bedroom door, asm material is to thin and dont like all the gaskets, they usually leak till salt creap filled, currently i am looking to get the mssx 160 extreme, i have a 60g cube now heavily stocked with sps (40+) lps zoa's and too many fish, the cs 8-2 is just way to big for my system

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
the BK skimmers carry a high price because of the red dragon pumps and the heavy duty build quality. owning a mini-180 myself, i see why they cost more, the pump is fantastic but does a skimmer need to be so over-built, i don't think using a heavier gauge acrylic or heavier pvc materials makes for better performance.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
sjs no i havent tried it yet, mesh wheel will pull more air and chop bubbles more into a finer { is that a word } bubble, i do have a sicce pump on my skimmer and bought the atb large purple pinwheel which actually works better then the mesh, tried both on same pump and skimmer. ive got to get a dwyer meter just so i can see in actual numbers the difference. i'm not taking anything away from any of the more expensive skimmer's and ive seen some in action, do i think hands down they blow my skimmer away ? no i dont and i spent no where near what upper line cost, but lik i said i havent had a big tank yet either

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
if i was to buy new in diff $ catagory for my tank or maybe total wv 80g, still small, id go with these in i will say some of the higher $ one's have alot more take apart options break down for cleaning, i will say this i will paint skimmer body black or something so no light reach's inside except neck
0-$300
Octopus Extreme Model 160
2009 Octopus recirculating 150 protein skimmer Model dnw-150
under $500
MSX MiniS cone
pretty much in the msx line, for the money, sicce pump is nice, but i do believe it only have a 6 month warrenty

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
These skimmers are all good choices. Also check out the I-Tech line. Economical and performing well. I have always been a fan of venturi's and becketts. Yes they use rather large pumps to get the most out of them....but lets remember that these skimmers process quite a bit of water. Also lets not forget about contact time...this is all so critical and overlooked all the time....As for the Bubble King. They have great pumps....(yes I know they are modified lagunas with titanium hardware, and custom volute) But nonetheless they are great pumps. In addition there pin/needle wheels are all titanium...very nice. There 2nd generation bk's are very nice and the pumps are even nicer. Yes they are overpriced but so are bmw's and mercedes...but that doesnt make them bad. I got side tracked wooppss...:splitspin

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
In addition there pin/needle wheels are all titanium...very nice. There 2nd generation bk's are very nice and the pumps are even nicer. Yes they are overpriced but so are bmw's and mercedes...but that doesnt make them bad. I got side tracked wooppss...:splitspin
i think price wise the bk's are more like the bentley's than the bmw's or mercedes. that's why i have the msx 300---the honda's of the skimmers.....lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: