• Scrap the light.

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey all,

As I inch closer and closer to setting up the 180:snail:I'm running into a lighting dilemma. I have a 72" Odyssea light (3-250w 2-96w PC and 10 LEDs)

So here is the problem:

If I decide to go with this fixture, I need to replace all three electronic 250w ballast (cause the OEM ones are garbage + one is fried) and perhaps change the PC ballast also. I will also need to change all the bulbs. If I go this route it will cost me around $675-$700.

Do I just try and sell this one for what I can and buy a different 72" light, which is going to run between $1200-$1500.

Thanks,

Steven

S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Yeah why not get three pendents and retro for atinics if you need/want them.

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Jim,

I see what you mean. The corners of the tank are in the dark. What I'm hoping to do is create two large rock structures on one smaller one. I want to achieve a very minimalist approach with the three islands. I figured I could place the rock islands under the lighting.

Steven

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
3 pendants on a 180 is going to be disappointing - you'll want to use 4 for maximum coverage. 3 will leave gaps in coverage in my opinion.

Check out this article where I have 2 lights lit and you'll see how far it's missing coverage.

House

Look at my tank build.....I had a 210 with 3 lumenbright min pendants on an open top tank. There was absolutely no "non-coverage".....my tank dimensions were 72 x 24 x 30. Please read this thread...http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1531096

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I would just get a new light. I am sick of DIY. When I do things myself they never come out how I want :( :)

Last edited:

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
i say get closetfishgeek's 3 pendants and one new bulb for $425. two more bulbs are only about 70-100 a piece. use the money you save on some sick le corals or something. i would have gotten that if i wasn't upgrading to 400 mh.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: