saltwaterman112

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Whats the best skimmer out in the market. I have a crapy one now and need to upgrade soon. I was thinking about the precison marine bullet or the MTC. How are the MTC skimmers.

saltwaterman112

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have a 110 gallon with a coralife skimmer thats not that good. All my other equipment is top of the line except for probably the most important piece of equipment. I dont have much room in my sump i have a mega flow sump model 3 so space is limited.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Sounds like you need something simple and easy to take care of. These down draft and beckett skimmers requires regular maintenance to be efficient, may not be your type of skimmers. They are also power hungry, when compared to a needle wheel type skimmer.

You should look into getting a bigger and better sump first.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
etss sump buddy 60, down draft but pretty simple to maintain and operate, had the 40 and loved it but does have some noise to it, plus it has a really small foot print

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Am I missing something with Mrc... I have an Mrc quad beckett and absolutely love it. Now if you are referring to the company before Tim got it well then Mrc had no customer service and was run like a **** show. Lets not get into the legal issues of the prior owner...They have defintitely come a long way. As for a lot of maintenence...they need to be regularly cleaned just like every other skimmer. As for burning a lot of electricity...compare apples with apples. Example...Alpha 300 cone skimmer run by 2 red draggon 1500....together they process 1600 gph at 110 watts. My hammerhead gold will process 5200 gph at 272 watts....Do you see where I am going with this...but are we really worried about 50-100 watts on the most important peice of equipment in our system ?

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
MRC sucks!! They may have changed ownership since the "little incident" with the last jerk that own the place, the brand name is crap IME and IMO. There are other company out there selling comparable skimmers that don't have these history.

As for doing power comparison. I am not disagreeing with you but I think it would only be helpful in this thread to compare apples to apples - for a 110 gallon tank..

As for burning a lot of electricity...compare apples with apples. Example...Alpha 300 cone skimmer run by 2 red draggon 1500....together they process 1600 gph at 110 watts. My hammerhead gold will process 5200 gph at 272 watts....Do you see where I am going with this...but are we really worried about 50-100 watts on the most important peice of equipment in our system ?

That's 162 watts of electric power difference for 24 hours a day.. I also don't understand what you are getting at with how much water each pump moves as a water pump, what does that have to do with them being used in a skimmer as ways to inject air? I don't see where you are going with this.... I know a properly designed dual beckett will out skim a BK300 (old style), I ran both for a while.. I will also tell you I sold the Barr 4220 and kept the BK300.

Anyway, let's debate on which skimmer is a "better" skimmer for a 110G tank so this guy can get the "best" skimmer.. We need to do this fast, before he goes out and buys Nerureef in lieu of a skimmer because he read somewhere those things are the sh!ts and everyone uses one have a great looking tank (with no pictures). :lol2:..

Last edited:

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
MRC sucks!! They may have changed ownership since the "little incident" with the last jerk that own the place, the brand name is crap IME and IMO. There are other company out there selling comparable skimmers that don't have these history.

As for doing power comparison. I am not disagreeing with you but I think it would only be helpful in this thread to compare apples to apples - for a 110 gallon tank..

That's 162 watts of electric power difference for 24 hours a day.. I also don't understand what you are getting at with how much water each pump moves as a water pump, what does that have to do with them being used in a skimmer as ways to inject air? I don't see where you are going with this.... I know a properly designed dual beckett will out skim a BK300 (old style), I ran both for a while.. I will also tell you I sold the Barr 4220 and kept the BK300.

Anyway, let's debate on which skimmer is a "better" skimmer for a 110G tank so this guy can get the "best" skimmer.. We need to do this fast, before he goes out and buys Nerureef in lieu of a skimmer because he read somewhere those things are the sh!ts and everyone uses one have a great looking tank (with no pictures). :lol2:..

lol....ok....But I sitll like my Quad Beckett..:splitspin...lol

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Octopus extreme/ MSX are excellent skimmers, and priced reasonably. you can get one of those bubble kings or the new cone skimmers and pay an insane amount of money, but i don't think the results are going to be much different.

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Are they the "best" or the "best selling"??

I personally like the H&S better for value and construction quality.

They are far from the best selling due to the price tag on the ATB and KZ.

H&S is just like any other skimmer out there. IMO, they are built like tanks for no reason unless you enjoy playing soccer with your skimmer. Or you like to throw your equipment against the wall. (it is just a recirc skimmer with a eheim needlewheel, nothing special)

I have installed everything from CPR Bak Paks - Bubble Kings and IMO and IME, the best bang for your buck is from those 4 companies. ATB, KZ, Reef Octopus, and SWC. I don't need to sell them, they sell themselves in performance.

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Lets get to the real task at hand.

It is 110 Gallon tank.

What type of stock do you have or intend on having?

Do you have a sump? If so, what kind of room do you have in the sump?

How much height do you have?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: