Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Mark Hixon a marine ecology expert at Origon State University compared the invasion on yahoo news to a plaque of locusts saying ''the invasion may well become the most desatating marine invasion in history and there is probably no way to stop the invasion completely''.The article also states the ''invasion'' started of the U.S coast years ago.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
just be careful of the spines - they are related to stone fish and can give a very very nasty sting if you get jabbed with the spines. My cousin had one in the aquarium and accidently got pricked while moving some rocks and ended up in the hospital.
There are quite a few Lion fish here in Sydney harbour, but I guess that's where they're supposed to be.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
On the plus side though I heard Lionfish is actually quite good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR-0zXnYMuc

This video was pretty good too. They show how to prepare them better. Next time I go to the Caribbean I think I'm going spear fishing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6PegwkMXQc

Did anyone see how they apply heat to neutralize the vernom-just sun or burn it with something?

In Asia, many people cook Foxface or its relatives in congee after removing their fins and heads. It's one of my favorite too.

Last edited:

NaClH2oTANK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought they were saying the cause was large ships and ocean liners releasing the bilge water in the caribbean that they picked up in the pacific with fish, eggs, and plankton.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
so if there are so many of them why are they still so expensive to buy at a lfs?
How much $ do you think is expensive for a lionfish?I don't think the amount has anything to do with the prices it's more about location of collection and competion.Most of these reefs that are affected now are protected by the U.S and other caribbean countries so it's not that easy to collect what you want i think the prices may go up soon because the U.S. government might stop fish like the lionfish and other animals that can pose a threat to the ecosystem from coming into the country in the first place we have seen this happen before many times before with other species.

Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Did anyone see how they apply heat to neutralize the vernom-just sun or burn it with something?

In Asia, many people cook Foxface or its relatives in congee after removing their fins and heads. It's one of my favorite too.

They used an acetylene torch in one of the videos I saw. Just burned the spines before cutting the spines at the base and gutting it. I've read the venom breaks down at 103F so you don't need to get it too hot to neutralize it. You could probably give them a good soak in a bucket of hot water.

Opsanus tau

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy Pete just caught the first one here in the LOWER Keys last week, the first arrival in the Upper Keys was just a few months ago.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
They used an acetylene torch in one of the videos I saw. Just burned the spines before cutting the spines at the base and gutting it. I've read the venom breaks down at 103F so you don't need to get it too hot to neutralize it. You could probably give them a good soak in a bucket of hot water.

OK, that's easy.

I vote for open license to catch them :tongue1:

Introduce human beings as the natural predator-we :chefico: can keep them in control by :eat:them !!!!

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
OK, that's easy.

I vote for open license to catch them :tongue1:

Introduce human beings as the natural predator-we :chefico: can keep them in control by :eat:them !!!!
They are giving rewards to anyone that catch the most in a day in the Bahamas so gentlemen start your engines.

Last edited:

Briney Dave

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My students and I dove off Abaco (Marsh Harbor) and south. We saw Lions in most places. Snake Key had large numbers of them. I read in their paper that they have fishing contests and published some recipes LOL

They are bad news for the reefs for sure. Its open season on them but it has not made a ton of impact yet. Not sure how much it can do. If it were endangered they would be killed by the wind :splitspin

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
My students and I dove off Abaco (Marsh Harbor) and south. We saw Lions in most places. Snake Key had large numbers of them. I read in their paper that they have fishing contests and published some recipes LOL

They are bad news for the reefs for sure. Its open season on them but it has not made a ton of impact yet. Not sure how much it can do. If it were endangered they would be killed by the wind :splitspin
What do you teach Dave ?Just curious...Here's another way that help keep the numbers down.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ThtA0vrzMk&feature=related

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: