anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
I would like to know in up grading I am going to be adding new sand into my new tank. I want to seed the sand in the new tank i am going to take about 3 pounds of sand from my current tank and seed the new sand. My question is how long does it take to seed new sand. Keep in mind I am going to buy the sand that they say is "live sand"

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
I am asking also if I am going to go throught a cycle, I have all the corals in there now and I was going to add the new sand with seeder sand in the tank and then right after that add my rocks then my tank water from my old tank and then the coral fish and so on. is this the right way to go about doing this I am leaving my old filter sock on and i am dropping a spong into my sump now to breed bacteria on it. I also have a hand on filter with a bio wheeel that I am leaving the pads in as well. I hope this is enough to hold the tank over. Any and all advice is welcome.

Mr. Softy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
You will most likely get an ammonia spike from bagged live sand and yes the system will go through some cycling. I can't tell you how long it will take for your tank to stabilize. I would reconcider the idea of leaving your corals in the tank during this transition. Changes happen real quick in small tanks and it may not end well for your corals. Best to cycle the new system then add corals.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: