KuyaMark

Pinoy Reef Addict!
Rating - 99.4%
173   1   0
wow i woke up this morning to a smell of something burning, i checked my tank and everything is fine sump and tank . when i checked my lights it looked ok until i see my SE mh bulbs were both shattered in peices luckily theres a glass cover to prevent the bulbs going in the tank , I checked everything to see if the corals and other animals in the tank and they're all fine. now I am only going to have vho's running without halides until i get 2 se mh's. wow can't believe it the bulbs were new Phoenix 14k SE they're about 2 months old! what could have caused this!

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Sorry Mark, I've no idea. But being that the bulbs are only 2 months old, I would get intouch with the store you got them from. Of course this after you a certain that it wasn't your ballast, or some other cause.;) I had the same thing happen with one bulb a while back, it was replaced free of charge.

Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Yup, sorry to hear man, try to get them replaced by who you got them from, So wierd that BOTH would blow at the same time being protected in the fixture?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Your welcome.;) But remember, check the ballast and everything else first. Reason is that they may tell you that since both bulbs broke it may very well be a faulty ballast.:( Most don't want to take responsibility for their products. That is why I mostly deal with PA. They have great customer service......!

2slo4me

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Ive seen this happen a few times.... the 1st time it was on my own tank like an idiot i touched the bulbs with my fingers the grease and oils on your hands can have this happen.... the 2nd time it happened on my brother tank... and his reasoning was the difference in ambient room temp. and the temp. on his tank... sorta of like you ever see glass tops crack because of the difference in temps from your lights and your tank...

either way lucky you had a cover... it could have been worst... best of luck!!!

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Was there a power outage? I have heard that if you re-strike within a short time period it can cause this to happen, but I don't have much experience with MHs.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: