tonep

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I have to dial back my pump return to the tank because it will overflow due to not enough water draining to the sump.
1" drain
3/4" return

If I increase the drain to 11/2" can I assume I can increase the flow.
Is this correct?
How much flow through the sump is to much?

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
lets just say the 1" drain should handle about 600gph..
and you need to throttle back you pump so looks like your pump is too strong..
600gph through a sump is too fast IMO...unless its a very large tank..
use powerheads for circulation inside the tank if theres not enough water movement..

what size tank is this anyways...
some equipment listing would help

but yea changing the drain to a 1-1/2" pipe would definately let you drain more water and increase the flow on the return

Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
larger drain pipe means nothing if the over flow cant handle that flow, if you got a few days, i'll be posting pic's of my build using a grn x pc 40 to power return through chiller, feed cal reactor and 2 phos reactors and only using 110w :hug:

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
if the tank is a stock reef ready tank from any manufacturer (All Glass or Perfecto) then the overflow box WON'T Handle more than 600gph through the slots. if you dremel out the slots, then yes it will handle more flow, BUT . . . . .

Larger problem is if the tank is factory made reef ready, you won't be able to increase the size of the hole to 1.5" because the bottom is tempered after drilling - don't try to drill tempered glass.

if the drain is on the back panel of the tank, then, yes, by all means, you can increase the size of the drain - but then you'll have 1.5" PVC in your tank.

Auto's reply is likely best bet remedy - decrease pump size and increase internal flow with power heads.

HTH's

House

tonep

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Actually I am thinking about getting a 55G from tenecor with the larger drain.
I was hoping to get more flow from the pump to reduce the need for powerheads in the tank.
I am just not sure about what negative effects more flow through the sump has.
I quess I could check with lifereef to see if what they recomend.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
higher flow through the sump allows for less reaction time for the skimmer as well if you have a fuge in there, a return isnt meant for circulation within the tank but as a mean to return water from sump\filter, ive never ran a return over 500 gph myself, if you get proper powerheads you dont need as many and buy correctly

tonep

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
So I will have to keep the pump dialed down and decide on the powereheads.
Actually I have a wavemaker that I will try.
Thanks for the info.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: