showjyr

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried switching to mesh filter socks instead of same old felt ones because they get clogged so fast and are a pain to clean.

The major problem I have with them is the air in the water from the overflow gets blasted through the bag creating tons and tons of micro bubbles. Anyone else have this problem? any way to fix it?

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Mesh filter socks?? What is your flow rate or how thin are these socks??

You could add a standard floss type filter (Aquaclear)and change the media frequently until you permanently reduce the larger particles that are clogging up your filter socks and then change back to the felt ones.

Better off to just get more felt ones and change them more often ;)

showjyr

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes mesh.....many places sell them. They're just much thinner and made of polypropylene. There is about 700-800gph going through the socks.

I don't know if you've ever used felt filter socks but they clog regardless of how big the particles are....they are 200 micron. Running an HOB isn't going to help much.

I have 4 felt ones in circulation but they are still a pain to clean and change frequently.....that's why I got mesh ones.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I tried switching to mesh filter socks instead of same old felt ones because they get clogged so fast and are a pain to clean.

The major problem I have with them is the air in the water from the overflow gets blasted through the bag creating tons and tons of micro bubbles. Anyone else have this problem? any way to fix it?

they do clog easily that's why they are so effective. is it that you only have one??? most of us have several filter socks for this same reason. when one clogs we put a clean one and throw the dirty one in the washer with a bit of clorox

showjyr

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 felt ones in circulation but they are still a pain to clean and change frequently.....that's why I got mesh ones.

I don't need them to be this effective.....I skim next to nothing. One reason they clog up faster is because my clowns like to toss up the sand in front of the overflow and a lot gets sucked down.

Thanks for the suggestions but I DO NOT want to use the felt ones....that's why I got mesh. I just need to cut down on the bubbles.

DHaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
you can't find a larger micron felt sock? or a smaller micron mesh? kinda sucks that there are only two options. I've been considering a filter sock as well.

2slo4me

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
is the problem that the micro bubbles are coming back out in your display tank? I had that issue once witha filter sock set up sump... i placed 1-2 sponges in front of the return pump and bamm all fixed.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
is the problem that the micro bubbles are coming back out in your display tank? I had that issue once witha filter sock set up sump... i placed 1-2 sponges in front of the return pump and bamm all fixed.

i was gonna ask the same thing. maybe you could put a baffle or two between the sock and the return pump. if you have space. or you could try the sponge on the return pump as suggested

showjyr

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the sponge in front of the return but it cut down my flow and only stopped about half the bubbles. They are so small they don't really rice to the surface either and make it all the way to the other end of my sump.

Is there anything I could do to the drain line to get rid of some air before it hits the 90 degree elbow at the end and enters the sock?

2slo4me

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I tried the sponge in front of the return but it cut down my flow and only stopped about half the bubbles. They are so small they don't really rice to the surface either and make it all the way to the other end of my sump.

Is there anything I could do to the drain line to get rid of some air before it hits the 90 degree elbow at the end and enters the sock?

if its PVC you can prolly drill a small hole at the top where the water starts going into the pvc ...

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I always had about 10 filter socks. When one got clogged I would immediately switch it out for a new one.

The old filter socks I turned inside out and threw them in the washing machine with a cap full of bleach and made sure the washing machine was set to an extra rinse cycle. It does overtime beat up the filter socks, but it does allow you to keep using filter socks which does pull out the smaller particles which you do not want building up in your sump/equipment as it will cause detritus build ups, which inevitably will cause ammonia/nitrate spikes.

Better to stick with the socks IMO. Just my 2 cents. Just because it worked for me does not mean it will work for everyone.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

Y'could try putting a bunch of polyfloss in the sock.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: