Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Whats the best temp for a reef. I know some who has a JBJ with the JBJ MH hood The runs in low 80's I feel that too hot? this tank looks like bad it has a dead look to everything his first problem was to high salt had him get it in check now the only think I can think is temp. He said that all the numbers are ot 0, the the coral does not open up I gave him some zoos they look small and not opened up, in my tank they look great. I keep mine at 78drg.

Is there a problem with the jbj mh hoods anyone have coral doing well with that setup? It seem like a small closed in tank for a 150 mh. is the a mod that will make it run cooler?

thanks

Davidl919

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
75 degrees is not a bad temp. But everyone will have different medium temps but I agree with Domboski 82 is too high for a constant temp, it can reach it but not stay there for hours. I personally like to see mine at 79 now. But at one time I liked 76 just in case something failed and the heat rose it would take longer for the water temp to raise.

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
77 ... I did notice some awesome polyp extension when it went down to 73 though ... I was doing some work on the tank late ... fell asleep and forgot to plug back in the heater of all things ... everything looked GREAT!!!

flipit13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
as a previous owner of a JBJ 150mh tank i am sure his temps are higher than low 80's more like mid to high.... the fix is either make a stand for the light to stand off the tank about 4" and put 4 computer fans in the back to blow across the top of the water, get a chiller, or order the upgrade fans from nanotuners....
my temp is 79.5-80.8

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
All of my tanks have crossed the 80 mark with no issues, my nano has even crossed 83. IMO allowing warmer temps for seasonal changes is normal and healthier for our systems, locking temps at a specific degree will only stress our animals more when they do fluctuate. Take your average reefer who keeps the house warm at say 78, the system at 76 during the summer has a chiller failure and climbs to 82, a 6 degree swing and big stress, the system at 79 same scenario hitting 82 is only 3 degrees and less stressful.

Just to give you some idea, average water temps at some locations...

205NM off the coast of Hawaii, 81.3 http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.php?station=51003&meas=wtmp&uom=E&time_diff=-10&time_label=HAST
Off the Florida Keys, 85.6 http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.php?station=mlrf1&meas=wtmp&uom=E&time_diff=-4&time_label=EDT

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Whats the best temp for a reef. I know some who has a JBJ with the JBJ MH hood The runs in low 80's I feel that too hot? this tank looks like bad it has a dead look to everything his first problem was to high salt had him get it in check now the only think I can think is temp. He said that all the numbers are ot 0, the the coral does not open up I gave him some zoos they look small and not opened up, in my tank they look great. I keep mine at 78drg.

Is there a problem with the jbj mh hoods anyone have coral doing well with that setup? It seem like a small closed in tank for a 150 mh. is the a mod that will make it run cooler?

thanks
When i was researching the lighting for my 120, MH lamps should be 12 to 15" above the water surface or tank overheating would occur. Not sure if that is the case here. Another recommendation was to install a fan between the fixture and water surface setup to blow across the tank to facilitate evaporative cooling, I don't think the fans in the fixture provide this and are mainly to cool themselves. Just my 2 cents

geldof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
79.7-80. I like minimal fluctuation. Higher temp = less evaporation from fans cooling aquarium. Doesn't cost that much to heat a 75 in the winter, so i leave it there year round.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: