Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi guys/gals, I had shut down my 20 gallon a while ago, something like 6 months ago.
Here's the thing: I never totaly cleaned it out completely. I took all the corals, fish, lr and about 90% of the water out, but never removed all of the water or sand. No it doesn't stinck, if it did I definitely would have made the time to clean it out.:tongue1:

I plan to set it back up temporarily as an acclimation tank. Here's my ?. Do I wash out the sand with tap water? Or do you think that the sand still has living critters in it, and (A) I should just add new prepared water, or clean it with prepared water?

Your responces will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Mima, try stirring it, I bet you the stink is underneath.

I'm sure theres some life left on the sand, but also, a lot of dead crap that'll start off your tank on the wrong foot. Since it's a only 20g, I'd just get new sand.

For an acclimation tank, do you even need sand? Good luck.

Mreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
whatever was living in the sand died a while ago, maybe even bacteria. you should rinse it to remove any dead material and organics, debris. if you rinse with tap water, add declorinator after filling up with saltwater just to make sure you neutralize the chlorine. if you use distilled or ro water, then i wouldn't bother with the dechlorinator. it's perfectly good sand.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks Kat! I like Harry's idea the best.:tongue1:

No fuss no muss. I'll take it all out, and wash out the tank. Steal a couple of pieces of rubble lr, and water out of my fowlr's sump. I'm pretty sure I have some pvc laying around.;)

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
lets put it this way: there has been no flow of airation in the tank which means stagnant water. stagnant water means dirty water and loads of bacteria. also what is the difference between that and live sand packaged and sold. That stuff could be siting there for months before anyone buys it, so honestly i don't even know where i was going with this...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: