cthoughts1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
402   0   0
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has ever tried this MH unit and if so whether anyone has any opinion as to whether or not it's a good unit or bad one?

Also, if no one has tried this system, does any one have a constructive opinion on whether or not it would be a good system or a bad system to get for a 75 gallon tank? And why? Thanks for your input.

http://cgi.ebay.com/48-4ft-Metal-Ha...in_0?hash=item45ee050538&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
No-name brand fixtures are usually looked at as potential fire hazards as Chief mentions. We hear of way more issues with them than fixtures where the company who makes them DOES care about the quality of the parts that go into them.
I wouldn't put one in the house where my family sleeps... better to watch the For Sale Forum, or post a Want to Buy thread and get a used quality fixture :)

GrimReeferrr

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
ive had some experience with aqua-traders mh and altho i agree there are better things out there, i think some of there newer lights they make are a better quality. The ballasts on them now are electronic and work well for me. I would just be sure this light has the newer electronic ballasts and not the older magnetic. But if u do decide to buy the light i would consider getting new bulbs. Personally if u wana go this rout id buy from aquatraders just to be sure its the newer ballast and not the magnetic ones that were th fire hazzards.

da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I got a ebay special with 2 250 light with 260 watt pc. The bulbs they come with do suck but didnt matter to me cause i was cycling the tank. But i find the ballast are not the greatest, in that one is a little brighter then the other. No fire isssues (knock on wood). Planning on retiring them in the late fall.

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I personally would stay away. Save the money and wait for a good deal to pop up. You never know when a member is going to break down a system or a vendor is going to have a sale. Better safe than sorry. Plus, no one wants to buy equipment twice, and more likely than no, you will want to replace this fixture.

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
We wouldn't steer you wrong!
A little late but i run the fixture over my tanks. the only difference is I modded out the fixture and run ice cap ballast instead of the garbage they call a ballast.
Some of them are an exact mock up of coralife fixtures.
Not trying to cause a fight, but with a little know how, you can have a great fixture at a lower price, even after replacing the ballast.
Nothing in the cheap fixtures that?s not in a coralife fixture. it?s the ballast that are the fire hazard.
I know they are cheap Chinese knock offs but the reflectors and the housing are the same. Its just the ballast that you need to replace and the 18gaug three prong plug. The original is not grounded to the fixture cause its only black and white wire, not ground. Get your self a ground cord and replace that with the ballast and your done.
I love mine, saved 250 on each fixture all said and done.
Don?t be so quick to dismiss the fixture if you?re a DIYer. it?s a diamond in the rough.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: