AnthonyAce

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have slightly elevated nitrate and ammonia and would like to get it to zero. I have a 90 gallon reef tank with 4 med size fish with a 30 gallon fuge and a 20 gal sump with an Octopus skimmer.

The tank is established for 2+ yrs and do WC every other week and feed the fish 3-4 x/wk but can't seem to lower the ammonia.

The only think I can think is the fuge is packed..should it be thinned often to allow for the light to penetrate to the sand bed?

any other thoughts?

AnthonyAce

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I am using Red sea kit and checked it agianst my buddies sea chem kit. The latest results are Nitrates=2.5; Ammonia=0.5;Nitrites=0; calcium=425;Phosphate=.1

The tank and sump and skimmer are clean - The only thing I have not touched in a while was the fuge because I was under the impression we should not disturb the fuge. Should the fuge get clipped back and siphon the sand every so often?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Seems like you're going through a mini cycle. Have you added any new rocks, or lost any animals lately?
Can't really answer on the fuge question as I no longer keep one. I did how ever trim the macroalgea when I had one.
Tell the folks here what type of macro you are keeping. So that they can help you better.;)

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
You should never have ammonia detectable.
.5 ammonia is actually a lot.
It could be the fuge if the algae is so dense that the bottom of the macro algae are dying from lack of light, but I would guess something else is decaying, possibly excess food? How much food are you feeding? and did you add anything new lately?
I wouldn't worry about nitrate, its not deadly unless its really high

Last edited:

AnthonyAce

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have 4 med size fish that i feed 3-4 x/wk, I have not added anythng new in months and everything is alive and accounted for.

I agree with your concerns on the fuge as the Chaeto is so dense it prevents light from hitting the bottom. What is the proper way to maintain a fuge? Just thin monthly? Do you siphon the sand?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I agree with your concerns on the fuge as the Chaeto is so dense it prevents light from hitting the bottom. What is the proper way to maintain a fuge? Just thin monthly? Do you siphon the sand?

Chaeto is supposed to tumble so I would trim it when ever it gets to dense, I would also put a small ph to keep it tumbling. And I would siphon the sand bed also.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I have 4 med size fish that i feed 3-4 x/wk, I have not added anythng new in months and everything is alive and accounted for.

How big is medium to you? What type of fish? what are you feeding them? and how much of it are you feeding?

There isn't a strict timing for thinning the fuge, just when its too thick :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: