ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I'm thinking of setting up a remote deep sand bed with maxro algae and wanted to get some input as to whether it really helps in the long run

I had a few questions:

(1) can I tap into my return line or should I tap one of my 1.5" drains? It's easier to tap off of the return line due since I have a little more space to place the refugium

The water leaving the refugium will be gravity fed into the main sump

(2) which grain size for the sand is better ?

(3) which macro algae? Chaeto or mangroves?

Thanks in advance

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
i would tap into the return line for the reason being that the water is much cleaner and you will end up with less maintenance in the long run, you will still get the diversity of worms and pods....they always find there way around. tapping into the drain means the fuge is exposed to everything leaving detritus to build up there much faster.
as for the substrate, i am trying the Brightwell fuge substrate, it is not oolitic fine but you should only need about 2". since it is RDSB you can use which ever substrate you prefer.
for macro algae i am still using Tobin's sea grass, it grows fst even under a CFL light from HD. i was never a fan of mangroves because you need a lot of them to really get any results and the constant worrying about falling leaves and degrading water quality is a PIA.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Juiceguy

Thank you very much for the response

I am going to use caribsea reef grade sand and will contact Tobin regarding the sea grass.

This works out great since I was planningn on using the home depot compact fluorescent for lighting

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: