pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Hi All,

My wife and I are expecting to close on a home in the next month or so and that means out of the 2nd flr apartment and into my own 1st floor! This will obviously remove a lot of restrictions I've had in the past.

I'm currently running a 55 gallon long reef with T-5 lighting and no sump or refuge. I have my Remora Skimmer hanging on the right side of the display and my BRS PO4 Reactor off of the left. I have lots of LR & primarily LPS, zoas & rics with only 1 SPS piece. I won't get into the rest of the details of my inhabs as I don't think that will be relevant to what I'm doing. You all will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure.

Anyhow as I'm moving from Queens to Long Island I'm looking at this as an opportunity to not only get a better tank & stand but to also add a sorely needed sump to the mix. I'm also looking at making this transfer easier.

What I'd like to be able to do is have a new tank up and running at my new home when I arrive with my plastic tubs that will contain the water, LR, corals & fish from my 1 yr old tank. I guess the 1st thing I'm trying to determine is if I should just buy another non-reef ready 55 long with cabinet and buy an overflow & sump? I guess I'd be doing this to avoid having to purchase a whole new light system and keep costs down.

Or maybe get something like an Oceanic Reef Ready tank and stand and as long as it's 48" in length my T5's will work?

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with this future project and would appreciate any advice I could get to help me bring it into focus. Also, I'm hoping to get LI or NY area vendor recommedations for the tank & stand.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
If you're moving the tank, you might as well go for the upgrade...75g, 90g, & 120g are all available as 4' tanks, probably find one here in MarketPlace, for less than cost of new 50g, definately get RR, makes life easier! You can always add add'l T5s as your needs (inhabitants) change. If possible start cycling tank with some of your LR and LS before the move, and you'll be good to go!

Custom King

Vendor
Rating - 99.4%
308   2   0
New Tank Purchase!

Hello,

If you don't want to have to spend money on new lights just find a tank that's 48" long like your lights. I'd also get a reef-ready tank and forget about the hob overflow set up. In the end you'll be happy that you did and will sleep easy at night not worrying about the overflow box. There's a ton of tanks that have the 48" length so if you like shallow or deep tanks you should be able to find one that suits your needs. If you're planning on going with a sump make sure the stand doors are wide and be weary of the center brace if your stand has one because this may limit the size sump you'll be able to fit through the doors. If at all possible I'd put my sump in prior to setting up this tank it'll just make things a lot easier on you. Congratulations on the new house and Good Luck!

:fish:

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I checked out your tank and it looks very nice. I always hated the dimensions of a 55 gallon, namely the narrow width. All of my tanks are 18 inches wide, and I have grown to hate them as well, lol. My recommendation would be to upgrade your tank if money and space allows. You have many options. Keeping in line with a four foot tank length you could choose a 75, 90, 120, or 200 gallon tank. These tanks range from 18-36 inches wide. Your current light fixture should be ok on the 75 and 90, but you would certainly want more bulbs for the 120 and 200 gallon tanks. Whatever you choose, you will love the added room you have.

I would also recommend that you buy a reef ready tank and avoid the hang on the back overflows. There are vendors on this site that sell or build tanks. Check the vendor forum. Good luck with your move.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
55, 75, 90 and 150 tall tanks are all 4 feet in length. The 75 and 90 might not need a light upgrade on what kind of t5 you have now (how many, High output or not, what brand). I would always upgrade because you are going to want a larger tank down the road. If you have 4 ho t5 anything from a 55 to a 90 can work, a 90 can do 6 and i would use 6 to 8 bulbs on the 150. They would not require a complete light upgrade, but just a retrofit alont with what you have. And go with the reef ready so it has holes drilled for the sump.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
PJ

75g, 90g and 120g are all 4' wide, but they are deep as well (FYI - the only 150g tank at 48" is an oceanic and it's 30" tall - T5's would never work on this tank). The 75g is 20" tall which may render your lights obsolete depending on what you decide your reef is going to be (mixed, LPS, SPS, shrooms etc). Much of your lighting decisions will rely on what animals you're going to keep, so, the tank usually has little to do with it with the exception of it's depth..

New house? Go large if you can - once you're set, you won't have to ever upgrade - take the trust of your fellow MR mates (including myself) who upgraded 4 times before I settle on my final tank in my new home.:banghead:

What lighting do you have? 4 bulb T5? 6? 8?

Give us some specs. and Good luck with the closing!!

house

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: