joselastra

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey guys, I have a question about moving a tank. Id lie to move my tank from the 1st floor to the basement, I have a 55g w/ about 80lbs. LR and 50-75lbs LS. I have some soft corals, thats about it, nothing to crazy as well as a starry blenny and a wrasse. Ive read that the biggest iller in moves is disturbing the sand, sshould i just replace all the sand? What would be the best route for me to go? Thanks

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Replace the sand.. If you don't want phosphate soup.. I've moved a lot of tanks with sand with no ill effects, this way.. If you leave it or resuse it remember rinsing doesn't bring phosphates down GFO, and strontium nitrate does..

Last edited:

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
assuming this is a same day move... you will want to rinse the sand (in your old salt water, you'll want to do a partial water change anyway) to remove as much dust as possible. I would, and have many times, reused old sand. If you do decide to replace the sand, you still should use some of the old sand to seed the new.

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
i just did the same thing from my 150. i removed everything till i had about a third of the tank filled, then proceeded on removing the sand bed rinsing it as i removed it with the tank water. when i was done adding it into the new tank, i added a new layer of sand to keep the old sand from releasing any bacteria/nutrients into the water column.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: