Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
If you are running phosban than it should be run in a reactor. A Clean up crew is necessary as well, powerheads can be used to clean the detrius off of your rocks as well and into the water column so it can be filtered out by your filtration system.

chanman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
you're overfeeding. Shouldn't use more than HALF the cube for your amount of fishes. Must RINSE(ro/di or tank water) the frozen food, wait a bit then feed. Clean up crew will not be enough to clean up the gray stuff on the sandbed. You must siphon it out whenever you do a water change

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Okay, we'll I just keep water changing, scrap off the algae, get a cleanup crew and see how it works out. When I see other tanks, they have their tanks crawling with cleaner inverts and they seem to be doing great so I guess I'll do the same

Thanks for the food tip guys! I didn't know that the water frozen in the cubes was bad for the tank... I'm going to try feeding human food like shrimp to the fishies and see how they like it

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had about 15 snails tops in a 195 gallon reef and didn't have any algae issues. i didn't even need the ones i had. they were just stragglers from a few tank breakdowns i bought.
more eating, pooping, critters isn't the answer to algae issues. nutrient export is.
the algae needs nutrients to thrive. you have to remove these/limit the additions of in order to beat it.
cutting back on feeding, water changes with good source water, feeding cleaner foods are the best defense.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Turbo Snails: the bigger the better. 1 per 5-10 gls
Hermit crabs: 1 per 5 gls
sea hare(its a slug), if it will live with your tanks mates, not sure what you have in there
A whole lot of cheato

But like everyone says, try and solve the problem at the source(water quality)

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Thanks for the food tip guys! I didn't know that the water frozen in the cubes was bad for the tank... I'm going to try feeding human food like shrimp to the fishies and see how they like it

Get some fresh seafood and chop it up. Alot of recipies have been posted here and how to make and keep it frozen to feed easily. Rods Food is a really good store bought poduct if your too lazy to get everything and put it in a blender. Pain in the arse to find locally. Feeds fish and coral.

Okay guys, I'll just keep up with increased water changes and see how it goes from there

It takes time, nothing permanent is overnight in this hobby. And if it is it throws something else off in the process.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: