crxin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have been trying to cut down a little on my light cycles, to reduce some algae. I have decided to go as low as 6 hour light cycles. I have a 4 bulb t5 setup on my 50gallon tank. I have only three small corals, small palys, 1 small toad stool, and something else i dont know what it is called. They are beginner corals, since I am just starting/learning.

I have noticed even with a 6 hour straight cycle, over a couple of days the algae explodes again. I am assuming that this is because I am not using ro/di water. I am using tap water run through the britia, and a chemical to make sure there is no chlorine in it

What do you think about me splitting my light cycle to 3 or 4 hours and then wait a couple of hours and have it come back on for 3 or 4 hours? Pros and Cons?

ZANYMASTER

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
410   0   0
You need to stop right there with the Brita.That's only for Filtering tap water for drinking and that's all it's for.You'll still get all kinds of undesirable stuff in there including PO4.Invest in a true RO/DI system.

crxin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i know i need to buy an ro/di system, but right now i cant afford one. i am working on getting one. yea the britia i have is only filtering tap water, so i do have some silicates in the water. I had it tested by a water company and to my surprise my tap water is actually not all that bad (for tap water, lol).

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Look at the for sale threads, you may be able to afford a used RO/DI which in the long run will save you tons of $$$. Don't make any other purchases until you do get an ro/di. Some are lucky, and have been successful keeping sw tanks using tap water, but most have not. Including your's truly.;)

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
If you can't afford an RODI you may be able to find someone locally that will make you water (any one on MR near middletown??) or find a LFS that sells RO (most do).

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I agree also u need a rodi . I did the same thing a few years ago and had the only head ache . I don't want to sound like a d..k but if u can't get or afford to get one u should really think of not going into this hobby , cuz it's all about spending money to get things working good

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Don't discourage him so soon. It takes time to get used to money pouring out of your wallet :splitspin

DITTO
I did the same thing for well over 5 years. I didn't believe that a simple ro/di would make such a big difference.
Don't ask me what made me make the decision to go ro/di, cause I have no idea.lol But all I can say is that it was the BEST investment I ever made for my tanks.;)

I seriously encourage you to buy, borrow, or rent one.lol
It will make your reef so much more enjoyable.;) And besides you don't even have to pay for your water like me.:irked:

Oh, and don't bother to waste your money on the Tap Water Filter , it's not worth it. Been there done that.;)

Last edited:

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
i didnt know you could rent one?

Yup. My friend in NJ rents one. They install it under your sink and even come service it. I don't know how often they come, but I've heard him more than once mention that they came and changed the sediment and carbon filters. It was from a drinking water company. He had to add his own DI.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: