Brian65901

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have a Giant Elephant Ear that is around 12" across when fully expanded. I have noticed that in one of its outer folds a small tear in its skin and it looks like a bundle of white threads are coming out of the tear, is this how the ear divides?
Any info would be appreciated

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
mine does the same thing. it does this when I cut it to frag or if I or one of the hermits piss it off. For some reason my blue leg hermits like to pick on it. The white curly stuff looks like worms at least to me it does. I was told its a defensive reaction.

Brian65901

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I noticed that it seems to be healing up tonight no more of the threads are showing it just has a scar. I'll will do another post on this coral it looks different depending on the time of day and if its eating.

Light area below fold is were the tear was
DSCN2616.jpg

Here is a shot were it is not fully expanded the Kole is 4" in size
DSCN2613-1.jpg

Shot with mouth open
DSCN2646.jpg

Photo after feeding it closes into a ball and then enjoys a meal

DSCN2651-1.jpg

Last edited:

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
most mushrooms can "throw up" their innards onto something to eat it and it generally looks like sticky white threads. however, if the threads are coming from a tear on the bottom side of the coral (at least thats what it looks like in the pic) then the threads are probably just mucous that it will release when stressed (or just for the hell of it).

i think they can reproduce in a variety of ways, but the only way i have seen in my tank was through splitting (longitudinal fission).

as a final note, the big elephant ears can and do eat fish. the kole is probably too big/strong to get caught but smaller fish could be at risk...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: