Rating - 100%
164   0   0
I'm a newbie. I have a 46G bowfront with a hob filter (emperor 400) and skimmer is also on back. With the heater, filter and pumps in the tank you can imagine just how crowded it looks. I want to clean up the view and clear some real estate by setting up a sump (diy of course using the info I've seen on this site). I'm just not sure if I should drill the back of the tank or use a HOB overflow and return. While this would make things easier and give me a less crowded tank it would still mean that they would still be seen over the tank which is in the living room (my wife's domain so there are strict guidelines for anything that makes it in). Drillling would be more complicated but would give me both the clear tank and clear top. If I drill I would love to do a DIY overflow and return. Any ideas/advice?

Thanks.

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Since the tank is already up and running and you are merely adding on a sump. I would say use a HOB overflow system with a U-Tube. It will be much easier to plumb up and it will not require you to partially drain your system for the drilling and the possibility of stressing your tank with the drilling. I personally do not trust weir style overflows. Many of the U-Tube style overflows on the market will not break a siphon after a power outtage and have a black overflow box so it is less obtrusive.

If you do decide to drill, remember to keep the area well cooled with water and try not to get any of the "paste" into the tank water. I recommend having an extra person with you to help keep the area clean while you are drilling.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: