roverrange

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased an AquaC EV-180 with high expectations. I bought it for its small size in relation to rated output, its ability to operate in a sump where the water level is 8 inches, and its ease of breaking in. One reviewer said that he had it producing skimmate in half an hour.

The size is as advertized. It is truly compact.

From the bottom of the skimmer to the bottom of the water outlet is 8 inches, so that is correct.

I can only speak from my experience setting up the AquaC-180, but I have found it extremely difficult to break in.

First the directions said to "Slowly close the gate valve one-half turn at a time until the water level rises within 1/2" of the internal platform." I am dead out of the gate here because even without closing the gate valve at all, the water level is at the height of the internal platform. The directions further say that in this case, you should add a ball valve to throttle back the water flow. At this point I think to myself, why am I paying big buck for this skimmer/ motor package?

So I call AquaC and relate the problem with the water height in the skimmer. They say that my water height is actually all right and they should probably change the instructions to that effect. I also ask what the instruction "Do not raise the water level inside the skimmer more that 1" above the water line show in figure 5 means" I think "inside the skimmer" means the skimmer tower, but he says it means the skimmer body. After much back and forth, we agree that we are speaking of the same thing. I can tell you AquaC, that most of us consumers call the tall cylindrical object attached to the skimmer box a tower, and the directions should be more clear on this point. In describing where the water level should be in the tower, the AquaC rep said it should rise in the tower to the same height as the top of the skimmer box. If that is the case, why don't the directions say that?

So I am back to trying to produce foam. If anybody has any advice on this skimmer I would appreciate it.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Firstly, welcome to MR!!

Alot of people are frustrated with skimmers when they first get them. A large cause for this is that people dose various types of chemicals etc prior to getting the unit. There are many chemicals that inhibit the skimmers ability to produce foam.

If the skimmer was bought used try cleaning the injector by removing the white screw and using the supplied bottle brush.

The aqua c 180 is an excellent skimmer. I personally have not had any experience with it but I have seen it in action.

Please give us an account in more detail of what was dosed prior to adding the skimmer. Also if possible provide a picture so that we are able to see the plubing etc.

For sure is one thing - You have come to the right place to ask and we will find an answer to your problems.

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
usually acrylic has a film of oil, like herm said: clean the skimmer prior to using it. Also spray induction is a very hard to adjust skimmer, it requires a longer breaking in process then other skimmers. i think you should slowly adjust it till the bubbles are microbubbles, but the tube is fully white, with the top of the riser chamber filled with some thicker and bigger bubbles, which creates the foam.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
The Aqua C 180 is mostly packaged with a Mag 7 pump. You must have opted for a more powerful pump such as an Dolphin or Iwaki.
If you can get your internal water level within the "mixing box" at the correct height without closing your gate valve, then that is a good thing. You will have greater control on whether you want to skim wet or dry after the initial break in period. That being said, you need to give the skimmer a chance to "break in". It should take a couple of days to do so, sometimes a week.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Welcome to Manhattan Reefs
Here we go ,I have the Aqua C Ev-180 ,
1st ,this is one of the hardest and most sensative skimmer ive seen,but a good when you get it to work !
2cd ,When dosing or putting your hands in your tank , It Would make your Aqua C stop skimming
3rd ,Water level .I found to skim the best<Having the water at the Beging to the Collection Chamber ,Just where it starts
4th .give it time to break in ,Mine took a week or more if i remember
Always clean the slug off the colloction chamber and colloction cup,Not to mention the spray injection once a month ,and air valve Just my experiance with Aqua C
BTW ,after all that ,I finailly got to start working great ,Thk g-d

roverrange

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned the skimmer with hot water before I started. I haven't put anything in my tank for the past week except food, and I have been sparing on that. I have a Mag 7 so it is not over pumped. I think I have the right water level now. I stare at the thing and watch it bubble but not into the collection cup. When you say this is one of the hardest and most sensitive skimmers I have seen, what do you mean? If it is, why is it a good skimmer?

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
roverrange said:
When you say this is one of the hardest and most sensitive skimmers I have seen, what do you mean? If it is, why is it a good skimmer?
well ,sensitive cuz of the dosing ,,water level in your sump ,and hte right adjustment on the gate valve ,not to mention the spray injection ,If it get full of clacium or any build up ,or anyting that cnt get through the spray injection ,it does not work right ,as gos for the air out take
1ce you ge tthe hang of how to us ethe skimmer it works great ,but you have to rememebr not to fiddle with to much ,let it do its things for a day or so ,,
When did youget you skimmer ?

roverrange

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaC EV 180 Skimmer Problems.

I have had the skimmer a week and a half and no foam to speak of. I have cleaned it out which set me back to the beginning of the foaming process.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: