MightyMike

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen different types of live rock, from different locations etc., each with a different measure of how porous the pieces are. If a general recommendation is 2 to 3 lbs. rock/gal then say a 100 gal tank is looking at about 250lbs of rock, give or take. (Correct me at any time, this is how i learn) Now my question is if I could obtain rock that's more porous, and weighs less, but in this respect would have more surface area, would I need less in terms of wieght? Or are the benefits of the live rock directly proportionate to the wieght as opposed to the surface area or density of the rock? Thanks in advance for all the wisdom
Best
Mike
ps, please let me know what your ratios of rock to gal are as well, thanks

Last edited:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
It makes sense that you'd need less of the more porous rock to achieve the same level of filtration. BUT, the difference is not worth calculating. Too many other variables (bio-load, skimmer size, macroalgae) contribute to the efficiency of the live rock. For example, a less porous rock may convert nitrates more efficiently than porous rock since less oxygenated water will reach the "depths" of the LR.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
MightyMike said:
Deanos,
How does the macro affect the live rock?

I wouldn't say the affect is direct, but here's an excerpt from this article: "Another area of nutrient removal is macro algae. This concept has also been a booming success for 10 years as refugia have flourished in the area of home aquaria. The idea here is to grow algae (usually very beautiful and appealing in variety) as a way to remove nutrients. As the algae grows it removes nutrients, and the algae also serves as a food source for fishes and as a breeding ground for invertebrates."

Nitrates and phosphates are taken up by the macro, which could mean you could use less rock. :) I would stick to the generalizations on how much rock is needed, and not worry about porosity.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: