xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a nicely stocked tank 120 FOWLR. It included 2 yellow tangs, 1 blue hippo, 1 blue trigger, 6 line wrasse, butterfly black and white, 2 clowns, flame angel, Porc puffer, cardinal fish, and a picasso trigger. All have been doing exceptionally well until recently I haven't added anything new for approx a year. I recently replaced the UV sterilizer bulb and did a huge tank cleaning it has been some time and I lost my blue trigger, cardinal, 1 clown, butterfly, flame angel. quite some time has past and am looking to replenish a few. I would like to get another clown and wanted to know if I can add more then 1 w/o a fight since right now there is one lonely guy, I also would like to add another butterfly and a goby. Will this be ok? Thanks

cthoughts1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
402   0   0
I would suggest rehoming the clown you have to someone who is only looking to keep one clown and then looking for a pair of clowns that have grown together. People often sell them in pairs or mated pairs on this site. If you do buy a second clown and give that a try I would make sure that the second clown is either a lot bigger or a lot smaller than the clown you currently have so that the dominance between male and female will not take long to be established, hence less bickering between the two of them.. Good luck.

PS: Thats a lot of fish that you lost... What do you think was the cause of your loss? How did you clean the tank?

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what the cause was the UV sterilizer I thought would keep it free of anything bad. I did a 60% water change I took all the rock out cleaned the glass, sump, filter bags, sponges etc, carbon bag.

cthoughts1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
402   0   0
xnonamexx, sounds like you may have cleaned "too well".. Someone on here once said something like "the ocean isn't clean, and you fish tank shouldn't be either.." 60% of a water change is way too much. You should probably be doing 10-30% (at most) if everything in your tank is going well. Some people just do top-offs and that works well for them.. Sounds like your tank may have cycles all over again and that's what caused the deaths of your fish... Did you monitor amonia, nitrates, etc after the water change?

Good luck with your new fish, do you still have the orange one?

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank was filthy when the fish passed. I did a thourough cleaning and it is thriving again. Nitrates were rextremely high but I have FOWLR and 1 anenome so that shouldn't matter. the orange butterfly has passed as well as the red clown he looked sickly before I was just waiting for his time to go I guess over 3 years is long for the pair. The little black clowns are doing great.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: