JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I want to tranfer my 75gal thats been running for 2years into my new 220gal. I was going to use dry rock with live rock but t many people said I will have a spike. So I decided to take my complete 75 and tranfer into my 220. I dont want to wit 6weeks for new tank to cycle with dry rock.

my 220gal is brand new, did not even fill it already
What are your thoughts on it?
Will I lose my coral and fish?
I have all new sand in my 220gal? (200lbs)
should I put the sand from my 75gal into my 220gal
I have about 150lbs of live rock and 50lbs of sand from my 75gal
I will cure my dry rock before I put in the 220 gal so no problems
I have fish that are like family so if I lose them It will kill me.

My problem is that two tanks running is hard for me to keep up with both!

what are my chances???

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I'v transfered fish to new tanks and i use the live sand, rocks and as much water as i can from the old tanks.What did you decide to use for heating the water?

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first i would make up alot of water, just incase you have a problem.
secondly, if you are using all base rock except for your luive rock out of your 75, you should be fine.
i would not use more than a cup or two of the old sand to seed the new. i would use dry sand for the 220, and let it become live on it's own.
you don't have to cure dry rock. there will be no die-off so you won't have any trouble with it.
your chances are very good.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Jarrett, I would use only the sand skimmed off the top (benthic layer) 1" of your 75g. The benthic layer is the aerobic (oxygenated) layer of sand that supports just about all life in your sandbed. Below 1" is the anaerobic (no oxygen) layer. This is high in sulfur and toxins. So bottom line is, just scrape off the top 1" of sand from your 75g tank and discard the rest.

The dry base rock you're planning to use should be cured also. It is very common to find dead organisms in the nooks and crannies that you cannot see. These organisms have likely decomposed already, but they can still cause a cycle. I would place the dry rock in a large bin (Rubbermaid tub) and add 1.025 sg saltwater. Let the rock sit and cycle. Make sure you add topoff water to replace evaporation, add a skimmer if you have one, use a heater and a powerhead or two and test the water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates to monitor the nitrogen cycle. My philosophy is better safe than sorry. You've invested a lot of cha-ching into this tank, remove all the possible pitfalls and you will have a much better chance of success.

Good luck,
Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
If 100% of your dry rock is cycled and you add 100% of the LR from your 75g, I would just rinse the dry sand very well, cap that sand with the live sand from your 75g and I think you'll be good to go.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: