nyctony

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i need help picking out a protein skimmer for my tank but im limited on space. I need it to be outside the sump due to space constraints and capable to support 150g. i previously had a tunzee 9010 (its for sale now btw) and am not happy with it.

thank you.

N

nycoralguy

Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
ASM is difinity a econmoical solution, try the 4 gxx, you'llnever have to purchase another skimmer for this specific tank. Great skimmer, great price.!

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
asm skimmers are in sump skimmers. they were ok about 5 years ago, but have since been outdone by other brands for the same or less money.
MSX and octopus extreme skimmers are much better skimmers. you can literally see the difference side by side. not to mention the efficiency of the pumps. another good quality skimmer that will out-do an ASM is a vertex-IN skimmer.

the tunze skimmer you have now came equipped with components to use it as a stand alone skimmer.

meanwhile, you will need a stand alone skimmer that is fed by a pump or gravity fed if i'm reading you correctly. any in sump skimmer will need to be modified to function out of water.

here is my old ASM G4X, sitting next to my new MSX 300. besides the amount of wattage used v.s. the amount of water and air this thing pulls, you can see the build is night and day. cast acrylic, built in bubble plate, larger collection cup, dual pumps, etc.
skimmerssidebyside.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: