Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Something's eating my acropora?

I just got home and one of my green acropora (I have about 15 frags) looks like it was eaten (scraped) from one side. It looked good in the morning... I suspect yellow tang, could he do it?

Attachments

• IMG_5289.JPG
    IMG_5289.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
I've had coral RTN and it didn't necessarily start from the bottom up :( Is the coral still like the picture or has it progressed? And if it was a fish grazing...i dont think any fish eat the flesh, just the polyps..but im not 100% on that

I don't think its a damsel either...

Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've had coral RTN and it didn't necessarily start from the bottom up :( Is the coral still like the picture or has it progressed?

I don't think its a damsel either...

No, I just got home and found this. Didn't see anything wrong in the morning.
:irked:
I have many different sps frags now, they all look great, grow like crazy, water parameters a good.

Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It happened before with other acropora frag. It doesn't progress, other part looks fine, dead part gets green in a few days. I think it's either fish or snail? Urchin?

Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Pics of urchin and snail I have. Both were close to that acro when I noticed the damage.

Attachments

• IMG_5290.jpg
    IMG_5290.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5291.jpg
    IMG_5291.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 52

knugenx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
308   0   0
I would say urchin only because I've seen them in action...they can maul(scrape) a live rock from months of junk and growth accumulation to it's original white.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: