jonnybravo22

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I heard a really great idea that another reef club is doing to help its members. Every now and then in the process of reefing we need an odd tool that we really wont ever need again, or at least not frequently. What this club did is they have certain of these tools and the members can take them out 'on loan' for a period of time and return them.

I don't know if MR already does this or if anyone else thinks it would be a good thing to start but I'm interested to find out!

Some of the kinds of tools would be:
PAR Meters
Multimeters
Drills
Soldering Iron
Other stuff

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
This is a forum community more than a reefing "club". And this isn't a club in the sense of a group of people meeting each other regularly in a physical place to talk about things aside from the 2 swaps we have during the year. So, its hard for MR to keep tools in one place for its members to use as loaners. LIRA is one of the saltwater clubs in the area, and there is one in brooklyn that focuses more on freshwater so there are other clubs in the area that meet in a physical place for meetings once a week or month.

MR members are very spread out in the area, with members as far as white plains locally within driving distance, and as far out as england, spain, and australia, and a bunch on the west coast in the san fran area. Taking that into consideration there are a bunch of different groups of people on Mr that do hang out regularly and more people that you might think see each other on a daily basis or cross paths.

Its hard for MR to offer its members loaner tools, but you can find someone in your area willing to lend you something that they have if you need. It could be a good chance to meet some people and make some friends face to face than on the forums through posts and PMs.

Im sure you will find alot of people that will loan work tools, but less offering loaner par meters, hanna testers or multimeters unless they come with you =0)

jonnybravo22

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
understand that members will help out and you can find them on a one-off basis through pms.

what i was suggesting is more along the lines of aggregating a list of members with certain tools that they are willing to share so that you can contact them and see a list of what everyone is willing to share. items don't need to be stored in a closet somewhere. more like a sticky with a list of tools next to member names.

would save time, help a lot IMO.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: